Making Hoshigaki

All info I read only recommend Hachiya (not quite ripe).

However, all dried persimmons I’ve seen on sale are flattened, round shape. They look like they are made from Fuyu-type persimmons.

The flat ones at the store are from China. There are many famous astringent types over there used for drying, some pointy and some flat. I think the dried fruit are also pressed down to make them particularly flat.

Does this mean only the astringent type would make good dried persimmons?

Yes. That is correct. They are much sweeter.

Just a quick update on my progress. I had to move them inside, because I’m having windows installed outside to make a sunroom for winter plant storage! I didn’t want the construction workers bumping into them or get debris on them. So far no mold and I think I’m supposed to massage them soon. I’m going to go buy another box of Hachiyas and start another batch!

We’re at the 2 week mark and they’ve been massaged a few times. I decided to sample a couple. The texture was similar to dried persimmons imported from Korea that I bought at H Mart. There was a leathery skin. The insides were soft and somewhat juicy. They are so sweet! I had them with morning tea to balance out the sweetness. I wouldn’t have been able to eat them by themselves.

It seems persimmons at different levels of ripeness yield different superficial results. The one on the left was very firm when it was peeled to dry while the one on the right had a little give. Both tasted more or less the same. I will let the remainder dry further and see how they taste then.

Chewy, gooey goodness!

Yummy! I have been eating 5 thaw Honey Jar jujube fruits and one dried persimmon, dried Asian pear chips, and a few fig chips daily. Life is good. Btw,

Fresh paw paws daily too.

Tony