Making Peach Jam

Arctic Glo nectarine and most of the red fleshed peaches have high acid.
I use the pink box of pectin for low sugar jams. I have found if you use a 2 to one ratio of fruit to sugar. 2 cups of fruit, 1 cup of sugar. And follow label gelling directions, add some lemon juice to keep it acidic, lime is fine too. I get a good gel like this and jam is far from too sweet. I do all my jams like this. Although I don’t make much anymore, I just don’t use it often enough. With tart cherries the jam is actually tart! I found low pectin fruits don’t gel well with this low of sugar, but the peaches did fine. A nice set no doubt. I guess I do add an extra 1/4 cup of sugar to mix with the pectin so for 2 cups of fruit (prepped and ready to go in jam) and 1 1/4 cups of sugar. The 1/4 cup is added with the pectin. The 2 cups are added after you get mix to a rolling boil. Add sugar, keep mixing often, and bring it back to a rolling boil and keep stirring! Boil one minute and test if ready, if not boil another minute. Test gel with a cold plate.
Some just like not to use pectin, but I feel I can keep sugar low by using the pectin pink package for low or no sugar jams.

1 Like

On Tues, we made 7 jars of our first batch of peach jam this year (from PF 24C).

Tonight was the 2nd batch, made of Autum Star. 12 jars this time. We like both batches,

8 Likes

Fabulous! And so tasty! I remember! Xxoo miss you!

1 Like

I’m waiting on my Indian free to ripen. I’m eating PF 13 right now. After fruiting a few years the peaches are much better. Very bland the first few years. Anyway back to Indian free I saw a recipe for white sweet cherries and peaches and I needed something to do with my white gold cherry. I froze them for now till the peaches are ready.

1 Like

Does anyone else leave the peach skin on their peaches when they make preserves/jam?
My Redhaven and some of my Contender peaches are getting ripe so time to make some peach preserves/jam.
LOTS of work but worth it in the end.

1 Like

I always leave the skin on. Prettier color.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried leaving the peach skins on, but I assume it wouldn’t be great for the texture. Given the cooking process, wouldn’t large sections of the skin come off and clump up?

I’m planning to make jam from Nectarines and am considering leaving the skins on, as they seem much thinner than peach skins. So, I’m guessing that they could be harder to remove and may not impact the texture as much. I’d be interested to hear any experiences with nectarines.

1 Like

Chop it, I do. Some times I’ll pulse it in the cuisinart. Enhances the flavor and color too.

2 Likes