Mandarins & Navel Oranges: What's my Harvest Like at Maturity?

Due to space constrictions and my cold climate I’m limited on the amount of citrus trees I can grow. I’ve got 2 younger trees right now in a 3 foot by 3 foot space. I’m thinking about adding 2 more trees, but first…

1. I’m wondering how many Mandarins & Navel Oranges I could get off a mature tree in a 10 gallon container.
  2. How many mature trees could I fit in that space? I’m thinking I could squeeze in 4, 10 gallon trees.

Appreciative of your knowledge as always,
-Ross

To answer your first question a whole bunch! My mature Miho Satsuma was loaded this year in a fifteen gallon pot. I gave away a few bags of them and still feed myself and my kids for a several weeks. To your second question 3x3 is pretty small I think my Miho alone is close to that size alone. Maybe with a good amount of pruning. Two could probably fit.

Drew

1 Like

Hmm. How about oranges? I’m assuming a worthwhile crop as well.

Millet at the TFforum grows all his citrus in cold climate, some in ground greenhouse some in pots. He knows a lot:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=12.0

1 Like

For sure. I feel like my Satsumas may have yeilded a little better than oranges but I may be making that up as well because my oranges produced a bunch. I really loved a variety of Hamlin called Louisiana Sweet. It had seeds and was a regular non navel orange but it was awesome! Best Oranges I remember eating.

Drew

1 Like