Matt's (Modest) Year in Review

I want to publicly offer exhultations to the Fruit Gods for the modest but significant achievements produced by my mountain orchard (z6b) and backyard garden (z7a) over the past year. My orchard is in its third year. The grapes, strawberries, and raspberries in the backyard are a few years older than that.

The following plants gave me fruit this year:

-Strawberries (unknown cultivar)
-Illinois Everbearing mulberry**
-Lodi apple**
-Northblue blueberry**
-Bluecrop blueberry**
-Gingergold apple**
-Climax blueberry**
-Red raspberries**
-Golden raspberries**
-Black raspberries**
-White Lady peach**
-Baby Crawford peach**
-Concord grape**
-Harrow Sweet pear**
-Ocklochonee blueberry**
-Shagbark hickory**
-Pignut hickory**
-Goldrush apple**

Yay!!

7 Likes

Thats great Matt! Congrats.

1 Like

Not bad! Expect anything new next year?

1 Like

Congrats, Matt. How good was White Lady peach?

1 Like

Matt, what you consider modest for a third year would leave me feeling absolutely triumphant! Congratulations! It too you work and care to get that far. Next year your trees will be larger and have more, and stronger, fruiting spurs. Your blueberry bushes will be larger. The fruits from your labors will continue to multiply, Nature willing. Here’s to a future of increasingly bountiful and diverse harvests. Cheers!

1 Like

Very nice! I wish when I planted all my blueberry bushes I had saved the names of them. I never realized how different blueberry bushes were at the time.

3 Likes

Berry nice!

Do you find the everbearing mulberry to be superior to the common red?

Matt did you like your ‘Baby Crawford’ peach? I have ‘Early Crawford’ and I would like to know the difference in taste. Thanks!

@Drew51

As my profile page shows, I’ve got lot’s more stuff already in the ground. Obviously, I hope it ALL fruits next year, but my wishful thinking may be a bit unrealistic.

But as @MuddyMess_8a says, as the years go by things should only get better and better!

@mamuang, unfortunately, I only got one fruit from White Lady this year, and it was of subpar quality. However, the tree is only in its 2nd leaf post-transplant. It is on Lovell from Raintree (DWN stock). It is the most vigorous tree in my orchard and looks healthy as an ox.

Here is the fruit I grew (small) next to another White Lady (large) bought the same day from a nearby orchard for comparison.

I suspect my tree just needs another year or two to reach proper maturity and fruiting capability. The farm-grown peach was sweet, juicy, melting, sub-acid, and delicious. My orchard-grown peach was immature, hard, and rubbery. Only an inkling of sweetness.

@39thparallel. Hi Mike. Red and white mulberries (and naturalized hybrids of the two) grow wild here in the city. Many of them taste really good.

My Illinois Everbearing is only in its first leaf post-transplant from Stark Bros. I planted it in part sun on a mountain slope in rocky clay (not the most ideal spot). Nevertheless, it appears to have settled in nicely and grew several inches. But as a young plant, it only gave me a few berries this year. To be honest, they were nothing extra special, but they were good.

The cultivar is supposed to be special in that it is supposed to continuously ripen berries for up to 3 months. Here’s hoping my plant is able to do so in future years…

Mrs G,

My Baby Crawford is in its 2nd leaf post-transplant. It is on Citation from Raintree (Dave Wilson Nursery stock). It matured only 2 peaches this summer, and they were very small. The tree is tiny. It has beautiful fall foliage now:

Here’s one of the peaches I picked and ate straight from the tree on August 14:

Immature trees produce subpar fruit, and this was no exception. It was runty, heavily pubescent, and more clingstone than I hope will occur in future years. Nevertheless, it had true yellow peach flavor; was juicy; and the texture was good! I would wager there were some real Vitamins A and C in there too!

This was the first year I got any peaches, and Baby Crawford was the best of the meager lot that I got. It gave me a glimpse of (hopefully) greater things to come…

What is great (I have found) is the Crawford strain goes right into production in its third year in the ground, however, I am buying three year old trees. The ‘Early’ Crawford that I have was the only peach not affected by brown rot this year. My orchard (peaches and stone fruit) had a horrible problem with rot this year. My Crawford is very agressive and is growing like stink! I will have to prune a lot of wood this Feb. The taste was excellent and I bet your ‘Baby Crawfords’ will be delish too. You will also like the way the color changes to deep yellow with serious red blush. They are very pretty peaches. They taste like a peach should taste to me, anyway. Thanks for posting the pics. A picture is always better than just a description. they look great. Can’t wait till next summer!

Mrs G,

Several years ago, I purchased some small yellow freestone peaches from an organic grocery in late May (among the first peaches to arrive in Maryland markets during what became known as a year when peaches ripened weeks ahead of schedule). I don’t know where they came from (Georgia? Calif? Mexico?). They were the BEST peaches I’ve ever eaten, but I’ll never know what cultivar they were. They were not labeled. They were small yellow peaches with an orange blush and melt-in-your-mouth juicy super-sweet tangy freestone flesh.

Afterwards, I went sleuthing online for months in an effort to figure out what they were. The description of Baby Crawford seems the closest match. The peaches were unusually and uniformly smaller than any other peaches I’ve seen marketed, but they were incredible. I am growing Baby Crawford in the hope that it will give me a redux of that memorable experience I enjoyed so long ago.

Your peach also sounds like my Early Crawfords. Sweet, very peachy in taste but with a tang that I love. Aren’t they good!

1 Like

Matt,
Hope your White Lady tree will mature soon and give you quality fruit. It sounds really good.

1 Like