Maximum growth on first year trees

I’m am planning on creating a nursery bed this year for some of the grafts I’m doing. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get the most growth for the first year or two before transplanting to their permanent location? I’ll run water to them so that won’t be a problem. It’s well draining soil. How do nurseries do it? I’m always impressed by the size of the trees they can produce quickly.

I’m guessing a good fertilizer program is important with plenty of N available. How about devices like tree tubes? I’ve read a few of those threads on here too.

1 Like

I have only seen some videos. Fields of root stock are planted and eventually are budded. Soon you will have a routine. plant in spring bud in fall, harvest in 2 years. I think the Dave Wilson nursery videos series shows some aspects They do over 1 million trees a year.

Many local university offer various help on all levels. It would be a good idea to develop a relationship with them. When lost they should be able to put you back on the right path.

I agree there’s a lot of great info the universities provide. Much is already published, you just need to find it. Maybe I can practice as a hobby and eventually grow it into a business.

I was able to find this publication that seems like a pretty good resource. NCSU BMPs Manual.pdf (618.5 KB)

I’ll do a little more searching on the DWN videos. I’ve watched quite a few already on pruning and backyard growing. They’ve been a good resource.

I also want to manage my own expectations and not expect more than my climate and growing conditions can provide.

1 Like

Yes you are cold! Today I’m pruning in the brisk air yet glorious sun. Love it!
I zone push which means lot’s of disappointment. I have found ways and keep experimenting. Expect failure and if anything works it’s a surprise. Luckily I’m a little warmer and it opens more options.
You mentioned fertilizer, well get a soil test and tell them what you want to grow. WI has the nation’s cheapest rate for soil tests take advantage of that. Also just to let you know, you guys can’t have the U.P., I just wanted to get that out of the way :slight_smile:
Do you listen to Larry Meiller on Garden Talk on Wisconsin Public radio? If not you should! Another resource for you!

I grow stone fruit and perennial berry bushes mostly. I need a fertilizer that is good for both.with peaches, nectarines, sweet and tart cherries, blueberries, honeyberries, strawberries, pluots, plums, currants, quinces, gooseberries, raspberries, blackberries, jujubes, hazelnuts, and mulberries. I found a product that fits my needs and is in 50 pound bags. AM Leonard offers free shipping a few times a year. A good place for supplies. One of many!
I found out most plants like an NPK ratio of 3-1-2. So those fertilizers that follow that ratio are well thought out. For starting seeds and such Foliage Pro has all macros and a 3-1-2 ratio. One of the few complete fertilizers

So far I’m impressed with this fertilizer.

Other options

I also use Hollytone and other organics. I would use all organics, but it is just too darn expensive.

I’ve been thinking about starting to prune the few trees I have. There’s still about a foot of snow around them. A few more weeks and it should be gone the way the forecast looks.

Haha no claim on the UP here. I do enjoy visiting though. I’ve made the drive from my house around the lake, through the UP to Traverse City a few times. I used to travel to MI quite a bit for work. It’s a beautiful drive.

I haven’t listened to him, but thanks for the link. I’m going to check it out.

I got my soil tested about three years ago. I actually have a sample sitting in the garage I forgot to send in that I took last fall. Generally it’s high/adequate in P and low in N and K with a low pH. Hopefully the blueberries I ordered will enjoy that. I have a bag of The Andersons fertilizer sitting in the basement I plan on trying this year. I’ve used it in a couple potted plants over the winter and they look amazing! I try and stock up on fertilizers when they’re marked way down in the fall.

Well you seem to be on top of things. Oh I’m harvesting gooseberry scion this week, will mail next week.

1 Like