Mead

I just tried mead for the first time, Antinomy was really good I could put a couple of these down after a hard day work it had a more of a red wine taste but the Bliss was way to sweet for me with a very strong pear flavor I could barely finish one.

I’m putting some raspberries, figs and strawberries in the freezer to try some wine and mead and I might buy some cherries as well. Anyone have a good mead or wine recipe or a good web site to check out that uses any of these ingredient and I could buy different ingredients if need be? I would think the figs would be to sweet to use a lot of?

My favorite wine is Franzia Chillable Red which taste more like a fruity wine cooler, I really don’t like deep red wines.

3 Likes

I prefer wine tasted sweet,not too tart. I have tasted few American mead, none of them are any memorials. I had best mead when I was in Prague, very balanced sweetness, smooth melody with the fragrant of honey.

1 Like

My favorite Mead And not just because it shares my first name.
Carrolls-Mead-3562-620x360[1]

1 Like

My friend makes mead and I got to taste his winner from a contest in LA, Cal. It was non carbonated. It wasn’t quite what I was imagining it would taste like, but after a couple more sips It was quite good. I couldn’t taste any honey at all. It was 15% abv. I couldn’t tell it was that strong by taste, but it got me humming after it was gone. It was smooth with a kind of champagne taste but flat.

That’s kind of what the Antinomy tasted like I think it’s the champagne yeast they use that also gives a high alcohol level? The Bliss mead didn’t really have a champagne taste but more of a syrup taste.

I’ve made mead a couple times in a gallon wine jug.

2 or 3 pounds honey
1 pint tart cherry or cranberry juice
Champagne or ale yeast (Champagne will ferment quite dry. A high gravity yeast - Belgian Strong, for instance - will ferment nearly as dry, and standard ale yeasts will retain residual sweetness.)

I dissolve honey in a pint of water warmed on the stove (no need to boil; honey is already pure). Make sure your jug is clean; pour ingredients in & fill with tap water that has stood a half hour (gasses away chlorine). Apply air lock. Keep away from strong light, at around 70° for as long as fermentation takes (bubbles easy to see.) Disinfect your keeping bottles; pour & store. Longer storage in cellar is recommended. Using some tart juice adds balancing acid, flavor and color.

2 Likes

I did a Bochet Apple Butter Mead with apple cider slices and a Bochet Raspberry Jam Mead on 8-1-2018. Haven’t tasted them yet.

I did a regular Blackberry fruit spread Mead and a regular Strawberry preserve Mead on 2-16-19.

I get the fruit spread and jam so cheap I figure it would be a good taste test. I will do a fresh fruit mead this summer once I have some fruit.