Melons 2022

Royal Golden is visually unique, but a lousy watermelon. I’m trying to cross it with Ledmon this year in an effort to move the golden skin color into a watermelon that tastes good.

I’m in favor of growing the best watermelons I’ve ever tasted from about 150 total varieties grown. Here are a few worth finding seed.

Luscious Golden

Yellow Moon & Stars

Ledmon (large ovoid pink with pale skin that rarely sunburns)

Halbert’s Honey (grow it, you will like it!)

Wibb (intense red flesh, very good flavor)

Bradford (very thick rind, flavor can be variable, but when it is hot and dry, this is an outstanding variety)

1 Like

When I started growing watermelons 6 years ago, I chose varieties that sounded delicious. I did not realize how much heat and long hot days some varieties need. I never ripened Black Diamond, for instance.

In my growing condition, any ripe watermelons that get brix at 10 is good, 11 is very good, 12 is excellent. Anything below 10 is subpar.

I’ve never been able to grow em, but this year I’ve got ONE and I’m proud of this little guy. I think because it was so so hot and dry this past month

it’s a yellow one of some kind I think. I lost the little tag. mystery baby. I go check on it every day first thing and then again last. I might put chicken wire around it, I’m so paranoid about this one melon.

3 Likes

I’ve grown BlackDiamond before, but since I grew them in a container they were the size of a Sugar Baby. Picture of one 2 years ago. Last year I had nothing for watermelon, only cantaloupe and honeydew melons.

Here is a picture of a watermelon from my compost, the biggest melon I have in 20 years, lol. Needless to say I’m so stoke, gardening does put a big smile in my face.

3 Likes

How did your bonsai’d black diamond taste? I like the idea of keeping it smaller and getting smaller fruit, but didn’t know if you lost anything in terms of flavor.

Very sweet or sweet because I can withhold water toward the end, this is how you can make them sweeter. This melon grew under a huge pluot. I was very surprised that I got something.

2 Likes

My Blacktail Mountains are usually redder, with a more defined thinner rind, but these were very good at 12 brix this year.

5 Likes

My first Georgia Rattlesnake came in at 41.9 lbs, 20.5” long!

!
Heavier than my neighbor’s 5 yr old girl.

Picked it at 94 days (it is supposed to be 90 day melon). It did not disappointed. Excellent taste. Brix at 12.

7 Likes

Maybe off topic but here is a 5lb Petit Gris de Rennes canteloupe. This variety is super difficult at least here in midwest but finaly got decent crop after 3 years. Vines are starting to wilt but had about one decent melon per vine just as they started cracking from rain. So finicky but very sweet and aroma fills entire kitchen with it sitting uncut on counter! Better than anything I’ve ever had from store.

Remnants of the split ones in fridge. Heart of gold on far right was also pretty good.

7 Likes

Looks great. Maybe a day or two late, or maybe perfect ripe- you tell me? Either way, I’ve never had one get that big and it looks perfect. That is a LOT of watermelon!

Now, we have to talk about how you cut it!~ haha. Please don’t tell me you are one of those strange people who cut whole slices 2-3 inches think and completely round? haha. Watermelons are meant to be cut into wedge-shaped strips!
(relax everyone, its totally personal preference and I’m just kidding you a bit Tippy. To each his/her own)

1 Like

Am I the only one that cuts parallel slices down the length of the watermelon about a an inch thick? You get 2 or 3 good slices from the heart and the seed are mostly in the edge pieces and fairly easy to remove.

Kevin,
I think it is a couple of late late but the texture was still crisp and it was very sweet. Thanks for suggesting I try GR. Our second GR, from another plant weighed 34.5 lbs, a little smaller than the first one.

Re. Cutting watermelons. The way you described is what I call cutting watermelon for a picnic. When I serve watermelon at a party, get-together, I cut it into bite-sized cubes. Put them in a large bowl. People just need to use their fork and serving plates.

No one has to worry about juice dripping down his chins, where to throw away the rind, etc. Neat, clean and efficient. :smile:

haha. No, I can totally accept cut into bite sized cubes. Lots of work for you but people appreciate it. The way that drives me crazy is when it is cut cross ways through the middle- like you did- but then just cut into 2-3 inch thick small circles - like a frisbee- with rind all the way around it. That’s just wrong! hahaha (says me, knowing others here may enjoy it that way which of course is really just fine, even if it seems counterintuitive to me.

When you cut into cubes, do you also remove most of the seeds for your guests? If so, I’m coming to your house!

That Georgia Rattlesnake was cut that way (cross section) because it was so large (big and ling). Otherwise, we usually cut like the way we cut Crimson Sweet and Charleston Gray.

I only remove seeds that are obvious and on the outside. I am not going to dig out other seeds. If you are coming, I will task you with watermelon cutting, ha, ha.

31 pound Georgia Rattlesnake in Minnesota zone 3b. First year growing these but will be growing again. Great flavor and high production. Had a late start this year but still ending up with an awesome melon crop. One of these is looking like it might make 40 pounds. Also getting incredible Janosiks and Sweetglo again. Will post when I cut the big ones open.

6 Likes

Beautiful!

They also have thick rind which is good for making pickled watermelon rind.

I am in zone 6a. Last year our Georgia Rattlesnake did not ripen in time. I am impressed that you ripen them in time in your zone 3. Growing them in a green house?

@thecityman will love you for cutting watermelons the way he likes.

1 Like

No green house. Just black plastic mulch. I do hand pollinate the earliest female blossoms to get early fruit set.

2 Likes

haha, YES! That is indeed how it has to be done! haha

1 Like

Can you post a pic of your black plastic mulch, please? I know people use removable black tarp but have not seen black plastic mulch.