Members photos on Growingfruit

Ugh. You have so much SPACE. Hashtag: “jealous.”

1 Like

So what do you have growing there? I seen some of your stuff in other posts, are they bench grafted nuts.

OK, I’ve resisted doing this, but I needed to take the plunge. Here are a few pics of me and Mrs Dood.

Here is an anniversary pic, from a few years ago. We got married in our 40s, so we’re relatively old newlyweds. We just had our 8th anniversary on Valentine’s Day.

Here is a pic of me and our vicious (not) watchdog, named Bomber, from Easter of last year. The newly planted apple orchard is in the background just above my head.

And a nice pic of my wife taken in winter holding a cat that we had on the farm years ago, but has since run off (the cat, not the wife!). Bomber is trying to photo bomb the shot, think he was jealous.

29 Likes

This is my profile pic. It is a little dated now, as kids grow so fast. This is my son and I in the spring of 2016. He is holding a branch I pruned off to make a graft

24 Likes

Last NY’s eve… with wife Tara and our two daughters: Zoe (4 years old) and Charis (7 years old)

27 Likes

Here’s one of me grafting our Euro plum on April 9th last year.

6 Likes

Charis and Zoe in front of our ornamental weeping cherry on April 3rd last year.

12 Likes

Wow, I have not looked here in a bit. Nice to see faces! It’s really great to see all the photos, thanks for posting everybody.

1 Like

Just scrolled thru this thread of member photos for the 1st time in a while. If anyone is feeling a little down from the winter blues these photos of our members and their beautiful families will cheer you up. Also reading applenut’s story of helping folks in Africa grow apples starting around post 260 is an inspirational story of helping others by sharing fruit growing knowledge.

6 Likes

@Matt_in_Maryland There’s nothing better than having a big greenhouse… I really appreciate that.
Gotcha!

@Derby42 I have tubs behind me with grafted nuts, persimmons and pawpaws. The rest are pecan seedlings, persimmon seedlings, I have some pawpaw seedlings; there are oaks for rootstocks… and random bits and pieces: a couple magnolia cutlivar F2’s and other odds and ends. It’s more exciting being in there than telling you what is in there!

Dax

4 Likes

A typical picture of me as I look now on a good day. LOL!

20 Likes

Yer welcome. I was wondering what folks thought what I looked like before I posted. I enjoyed @auburn’s funny predictions of some folks earlier in this thread.

My wife would prefer I not post a lot of pics of her, but she has a Facebook page with her pics on it, so I don’t think she’d mind some in here as long as they’re not too “goofy”, as she calls some of them.

I had pictured subdood as an older plump fellow in overalls. You look much better in the photo than in my imagination. Good thing you posted the photo. Your wife is also very attractive.

3 Likes

Thanks. She’s a good girl, I take her for granted way too much. Her farm experience and knowledge puts me to shame but I’m trying to catch up.

LOL, no not plump in the least. I would like to have a bit more “insulation” to deal with the winters. But I just layer on the clothes, starting with the long johns, t shirt, sweatshirt, and parka if it’s really cold. Older? I’m 52, seems unreal.

I found some flannel lined jeans at Rural King, they are awesome, sometimes I can wear those instead of the long johns. If interested, don’t buy the same size of flannel pants as your regular jeans, see correction below.

And, no overalls, yet. I’ve almost made the complete transformation from city boy to Hillbilly. My progression so far:

1. Tractor, plow, disc, bush hog - check
  2. Ford truck - check
  3. Rifles, and assorted other firearms - check
  4. Ammo - check
  5. Food canner - check
  6. Chainsaw - check
  7. Muck boots - check
  8. Big tiller (front tine, of course) - check
  9. Farm dog - check, although coon/hound dog is preferred.
  10. Hunting blind - check

Still to come- 4wd truck, chickens, wood stove, overalls, still (?!?). Is it illegal to make your own 'shine, as long as you’re not selling it? Don’t think the Mrs would allow it at any rate.

Correction: those flannel jeans size comments were wrong. For example, if you wear 32×34 regular jeans, you would need like 34x32 in the flannel ones. They are thicker so you need a larger waist size, and shorter length. Sorry!

3 Likes

Levers, the one in front of you holding your young son in front of the little apple is a really nice picture. The grafting is really late, though, at least for the east coast. .

1 Like

No still?

2 Likes

Haha, no not yet. I still don’t know if it’s illegal if you brew yer own. I mean some folks make their own beer or wine, so why not some homegrown bourbon? Prob not gonna happen, I was kinda kidding.

2 Likes

I like the ‘kinda’ part.

2 Likes

Love it. I’m not good at picturing people so nice to have photos.

Nice looking family, Rob. You’re all blondes! Is that a Frankenplum tree? I mean a multiple graft plum.