Merle's world

Is there a reason you grafted your mulberry so close to the ground/

@highdesertheritage, virginia was good last year even though i think it was picked a little early due to squirrel pressure and brushy mountain is also a good eating apple but my favorite right now is Ben Lamand.

1 Like

Uploading: 20210425_192952.jpg…

Luvalle’s Monster chestnut burrs

2 Likes

Lola Queen grafts.

2 Likes

Been a while since the last update, but I suppose the solstice is a time for reflection.

Top pics are fully ripened Tull apples. Excellent size, my largest over 14oz, with a very distinctive flavor. I expect these to be favorites at our farmers market and definitely at my house.
I even grafted 3 new standard trees to bring the total on the farm to 5.

In the fyi category, I brought close to 15 different varieties to markets this year. Had customers return looking for Arkcharm, Wilson June, Roxbury Russet, but by far the most requested and what I describe as a starry eyed apple was not an heirloom, but Bonkers/NY-35.

Other pic shows some of the different varieties I grow. This was really the first year I’ve had an appreciable amount fruit. Already looking forward to a total eclipse and next springs grafting.

5 Likes

Great job!

And I suspect the Bonkers apple could be a fine roadside market apple…but it’s hard to get more names in a supermarket unless some fall out of favor.

Excellent pix of the Tull, also.

2 Likes

Good to hear from you Blue!

My Redfield trees I grew from the scions you sent will be moving up to the farm soon as will the gooseberries.

2 Likes

Seems to be hard to get a crop on Redfield. Blooms early and freezes, plum curculio seem to prefer it, leaders are crooked at strange angles, etc. But, it’s a colorful tree, and I did get one good crop the second year my tree bloomed. (I have pruning to do on the tree again, soon.) Also have an extra tree in a pot of Redfield.

If it makes jelly and doesn’t require pectin, that may be my use for this apple in future years. As I expect to have other red fleshed apples I like better to eat. It also has colorful juice.

1 Like

Random farm pics. Total eclipse coming up in less than two weeks. Hope for clear skies. :pray:

3 Likes

Had our first throw down in the new shop yesterday with a wedding, birthday party, and a total eclipse.

4 Likes