Micro orchard expansion: help/advice wanted!

Good luck with them. Challenges abound at every stage. Once you see and experience everything. No substitute for experience. I have seen beginners here, now surpass me in expertise, and I’m learning from them! You will do fine, just keep an eye yet don’t love them to death either.

1 Like

Drew, do I understand you correctly, with blueberries, you do not use any soil or compost?

1 Like

My planters are ready!

6 Likes

That’s a beautiful set up, Colleen. Your plants are pampered.

1 Like

Yes they are. Thank you. I try hard to balance the visual with the practical. I love the four seasons of the blueberries shrubs. I would make a hedge out of them if I didn’t already have a hedge.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

This is the first time I tested to soil in those blue berry planters. Oh boy! How do I fix this ph? I filled these beds with the soil recipe discussed above (pine nuggets, peat, diatomaceous earth granules…)

The line stone caps may be leaching in. Please help me fix this. Espoma acid (I have a huge bag of it in the garage.)

1 Like

Many of us out west are jealous of your pH. Looking across the bottom row of your lab report, I recommend you try Prilled Sulfur; e.g. sold in ~4 lb boxes at nurseries. The directions for use should include per-square-foot dosages. Do not add Espoma acid.

2 Likes

Drew! My soil test for my blueberries planters has a huge problem!

1 Like

Correct, I do add hollytone and boost with acid loving soluble fertilizer.

On the pH it must be the limestone. The soil would never be that high with peat and pine. If it’s that bad already yikes!
Yes use sulfur but it takes six months to work. You can buy granulated sulfur on Amazon. It’s not expensive.
If you could use something else besides limestone I would!

2 Likes

Or Espoma if that was added.

3 Likes

Thank you! I will get to work on this now. We tend to have wet winters, so hopefully it will get a chance to soak in. In the meantime, I will put my mechanical engineer husband on the task of fixing the limestone cap issue. Wonder if I can seal the on the interior? Flex seal maybe!

1 Like

If you are using municipal water, check the Calcium content in the annual report. Otherwise send an irrigation water sample to the lab.

2 Likes

Yes they do sell sealers for landscape stone. That would work. Be careful with the sulfur. The stuff on Amazon has no directions. You may want to look it up. You can kill blueberries with sulfur if too much. I know I killed two or three that way.

2 Likes