Minus 26 This Morning

Mother Nature just reminded us that She’s still in charge. I planted some Zone 5 plants over the past few years and they have survived, maybe till now? The deep freeze only lasted for a few hours but it might have did it’s damage in that short time. Next spring will be quite interesting…

3 Likes

Keep that cold air up there, lol. Are winters have been mild here recently also, I have a pakastan mulberry I grafted last spring that is really going to get tested

You’re really feeling that Arctic Express, btomlins. It reminds me of when I was living in N. Indiana. I was complaining one winter day about it being, like, 10 degrees one morning, to my dad on the phone. He said, “Good thing your mom isn’t around anymore to hear that whining. That was the normal daytime high about every day in the winter in Edmonton where she grew up.” Which was probably true. But, being a little Surfer Girl, I never ever got used to those arctic temps in Indiana! :grinning::snowflake:

1 Like

I grew up in North Dakota and now live in Montana. The winters here don’t get as cold as Edmonton but close. I have spent some time in Edmonton and Cold is Cold!!!

3 Likes

I understand your concern, a balmy -34C (-29.2F) this morning. Actually it was warmer out there than a few days ago with -24 (-11.2 F)and a 50 Km wind howling around my ears.

I find it wonderful that even through this type of deep freeze some fruit trees don’t miss a beat. It will depend on which zone 5 plants and trees you have. Some may survive just fine, and if they do, let us in the colder climates know which ones made it. I have a few apples that are zone 4 and they had fruit last summer so don’t loose hope.

Will do. I’m not to worried except for the Blackberries, might have to start from the crown again.

1 Like

Oh Ursula. You and my mother. Those prairie provinces I swear can have some of the coldest temps ever. Where in Saskatchewan are you located, near Regina? Your little peek of your art work is very lovely! I need to get back to drawing and watercolor, again. I am a fabric artist. And, I will say, one thing I do miss from N. Indiana (and Canada - grew up in Vancouver off and on, growing up as a kid) were the lovely peonies, I do so adore them, but cannot grow them here in S. California where I am.

Patty S.

1 Like

The problem with our “new climate” is a lack of consistency. Fasten your seat-belts growers.

If you like to complain- farming is the perfect occupation.

4 Likes

OMG! You live in the US? and it gets that cold there???

1 Like

Patty,I am almost directly east of Edmonton as the crow flies. North Central Sask. The temperatures can get very cold but humans get very conditioned to weather. We are only tough when it is cold, when it gets to +30C listen to us whine, we melt, we cannot function, and we moan about the heat. :slight_smile: If it gets to -10C in January the coats are off and we act like we are in heaven.
Off topic, fabric art sounds wonderful, I am a firm believer that art, like gardening soothes many souls.

2 Likes

Yup, we farm and it’s always, too dry, too wet, too hot, too cold, the frost is too early, the winter too mild, or too severe and on and on…LOL

You have my utmost respect, Ursula. You and my mom. Egad. I struggled with N. Indiana winters for 10 years and never really got aclimated. Super glad to be back in the beach area of S. California, lol!! And, your growing season is short, so folks who farm (my grandparents did in Edmonton), worked so hard, so intensely. Again, just a hardly bunch of folks up that far north, hat’s off to you all. Do you have a web site where we might be able to see your art? I’d love to see your work.

Patty S.

Thanks Patti, but don’t hold us up too high, it might go to our heads and that is never good.LOL. My work is not currently online, I might have to think of that.

2 Likes