Mirabelle Thinning Advice Requested

The set on my mirabelle this year is higher than it has ever been.
For those of you who grow them, is there a guideline that you can endorse on how many fruits to leave?
Thanks.

I expect many people don’t thin them at all, they are not much bigger than cherries. My goal was to avoid touching fruits.

1 Like

I leave my Mirabelles alone. I agree with Scott. I will be very interested to see how yours do in that almost tropical zone as it is not an almost tropical fruit. Which Mirabelle do you have? My Metz and Nancy are loaded with blooms this year as are the rest of my Euro plums. We have had seven days of rain, and except for one day, another week of damp weather. Most of my Euro’s are self pollinating so hopefully I will have many plums this early fall.

1 Like

I am anxious to see how mine fare as well, in my zone (nearly the same as Vohd - Vohd where are you, exactly?) I will say - they are very vigorous. They leafed out immediately within maybe a week of planting and they are VERY happy right now. They are staying nice and compact - no crazy wild long water sprouts - and they are very pretty trees. I even had some flowers on one, but no fruit set (I probably would have picked them off if they had set.)

HQ I call them my trees of ‘lace’. They are really beautiful. If it were not raining I’d go out and take pics for you! Maybe tomorrow IF the sun comes out.

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts. I’m now inclined to leave one branch alone as a control and test thinning at a couple different levels on others. [quote=“mrsg47, post:3, topic:5670”]
Which Mirabelle do you have?
[/quote]

I have ‘Parfume de Septembre.’ [quote=“hoosierquilt, post:4, topic:5670”]

I am anxious to see how mine fare as well, in my zone (nearly the same as Vohd - Vohd where are you, exactly?) I will say - they are very vigorous. They leafed out immediately within maybe a week of planting and they are VERY happy right now. They are staying nice and compact - no crazy wild long water sprouts
[/quote]

I’m in the SF Bay Area in a spot with a bit more chill than the typical Coastal climate. My P. de S. has been about as reliable and hassle-free as any stone fruit I have. I’m glad that I added it. It is vigorous and more upright than spreading. I haven’t seen crazy water sprouts either, but “compact” is not a term I’d apply to mine (I think its on Marianna 2624) and I need to prune it to control its height.

2 Likes

Vohd,
How long did it take for your de September to flower and set fruit, please? What other plum do you have for cross pollination?

This is the first time I have heard someone comment on de September. Mine is on a 3 rd leave this year from Raintree.

Glad to hear a positive feedback on it.

It will take five to six years for them to set fruit.

In its third leaf, it set a few fruits and then began to set in earnest in its fourth.

The European Plums nearby are a Bavay’s Gage and a Coe’s Golden Drop.

Great. On one side of de September is Coe’s Golden Drop and on the other side Castleton. Coe’s has one flower this year, Castleton has two but de September has none. I expect, all will produce some next year, their 4th. .

Do you like the taste of Coe’s and de September?

I do not expect them to be hassle-free here as this is humid east but it’s encouraging to hear from you. Thank you very much.

Mrs.G.,
My mirabelle and Coe’s are on Marianna 2624. I guess that could be why they appears to be more precocious.

What are the rootstocks of your mirabelles?

I have seen nurseries report that P. de S. is self-fertile and I would believe that.

I do like the taste of the P. de. S. A local commercial orchard has Nancy and Metz Mirabelles and, relative to those, I find P. de. S. to have a more of an aromatic flavor. It has less of a traditionally “plum” flavor than Metz. Coe’s is deliciously sweet when fully ripe. P. de. S. really calls out to me for fresh eating and to make into jam. One attribute of the tree (at least in my climate) is that the fruit ripens over about 3 weeks which is ideal for the first of those uses, but less so the second. However, the fruit stores in the refrigerator for a long period without noticeably diminishing in quality so you can gather them over time.

I hope that yours does well for you. For the bugs I get, it is vigorous enough to outgrow the damage they can do. Without humid summers I’m only speculating, but the skin on them is pretty sturdy and I’d be optimistic for rot not being an overwhelming problem.
. .

Vohd,
You’ve made my week :grinning: can’t wait for their production.

We have had too wet of a week weather-wise as it has rained every single day since Sunday night and will be some more this weekend. I have not checked my backyard orchard for a week. So glad to hear your responses.

Hi Mam, I just emailed Raintree to ask them as they have been in the ground for seven years. I can’t find my notes. I’m packing! xxoo me :heart_eyes:

Same rootstock as yours!

Very late to get in on this thread but delighted to hear that @Vohd is getting fruit from a P. de S. Mirabelle in the SF Bay!

Mine, also from Raintree, will be in its third leaf this spring. I keep thinking I shouldn’t have bought it, because it needs more chill and more heat than we get here in Santa Cruz. It was earlier in my steep learning curve about fruit, and I was swayed by the divine taste of some Mirabelles that thrive in a climate less than an hour away, but inland, higher elevation, and hotter/colder. So I have been grafting a few other things to it, but maybe there’s hope for a regular crop. (Hah, spellcheck keeps wanting me to change “Mirabelles” into “Miracles,” and that is accurate more than one way!) My thinking originally was that even if I only got a crop every five years, the deliciousness would make it worth it. Since space is at such a premium in my yard, I’m less likely to make a decision like that now.

For me, shothole was a problem last year–it lost a lot of leaves-- but I had it sprayed in fall and hope to stay on top of it this year.

Anyway, I’d be eager to hear how Patty’s is doing as well, since she’s not getting much chill either.

1 Like

One more thing, in terms of thinning, the Mirabelles I first tasted were on a tree that had basically gone feral–no pruning, no thinning, and they were crowded together on branches. They were still delicious! It looked to me like the only downside was that some branches might break.