Mister Guy's Suburban Jungle Waking Up

On figs I don’t think that will help much. If you want more growth water and fertilize more. Also keep all weeds well back from the plant.

If the tree hasn’t stalled its growth, I wouldn’t remove the figs. Personally, I leave all the figlets on my young trees since I’d rather taste the fruit than worry about maximizing tree growth and future production. Even leaving the fruit on, I still ended up with 6 foot trees by the end of the season.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing updated pics of your jungle setting as a whole throughout the growing year. I hope you continue to post them!

I need to back off and do some perspective shots now that things are growing in and it’s at least a little bit cleaned up. I’m pretty happy with how much I’ve crammed into my tiny little space, but it makes me want a lot more room. Even clearing out a lot of the trees in my yard doesn’t give me much more than a rolling window of sunlight across the yard. The wife and I have a ten year plan involving a farm wedding venue with edible landscaping and agritourism appeal.

Yoga in an orchard in North Carolina March seems like a dream I can rent out to people.

1 Like

And you don’t even live in Asheville! I like your goal.

Update on the two in one cleft graft above:

The Dapple Dandy side is now taller than I am at six foot, despite being headed off once earlier this summer to try and keep it inline with the Black Ruby Plum side.

3 Likes

My grafting efforts were just in time. My grandmother passed away last weekend. We traveled up to Michigan for the funeral, and I was able to pick and eat an apple from the her pie apple tree this morning. I had originally thought from her description it must be a Mcintosh, but they are more striped than red. There weren’t many left on the tree; I think one of her family friends may have harvested them already.

Any thoughts on what this might be? It’s a little mouth puckering tart, and had a pleasant crunch. It browned almost immediately after slicing, if that tells anyone anything.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what it is but I love apples like that.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.