Montmorency, 400% increase in production!

As I was typing I was thinking that you probably had a mislabeled tree as it should have been noticeable that one was a morello (red flesh) and the other an amarelle (yellow flesh). Then again at the end of the day you still have two productive cherry trees so that’s a nice problem to have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, North Star Cherry was developed at University of Minnesota in 1950. They describe it as yellow flesh.

From U Minn website:

I have Northstar and Montmorency. They are both productive. Both make delicious pies. The Northstar seems to have redder skin but yellow in side.I think mine was from Raintree but Im not certain of that. This year, it’s so loaded, the branches are almost touching the ground.

That is interesting! Everywhere I looked it up said it was a morello-type cherry, it could be one of those things where the wrong fact just gets repeated all over the place.

I have a North Star that might put fruit this year. I guess I’ll get to see what it does.

@don1357 here is my Northstar cherry tree as of yesterday

Here is my Montmorency

@dimitri_7a, here is our cherry pie recipe.

Last year I made 5 extra batches of the filling and froze them in 1/2 gallon freezer bags. We just had the last pie made from that filling this week. It was excellent. The filling is pink instead of red, sort of like rhubarb pie. If you like clear filling you can use a starch instead of flour. My mom and grandmother used flour, so that’s what I do. Im not sure of the amount if you use starch instead. Also, when rolling out the top crust, I sprinkle with sesame seeds and lightly roll them onto the crust before putting it onto the pie.

Edit: I just noticed that veg oil in the recipe.
i actually dont do that, just the butter.

6 Likes

I’m a huge fan of clear jel. It is a modified cornstarch that comes in to varieties; instant and cooking. Either will dissolve a whole lot better without clumping. The instant does not require cooking but if you cook it later it will fall apart. The non instant is magic; I use it for canning, it retains its jelling consistency over the life of the can, and then I can cook it and will still hold. I can batches of what I call apple guts, bake with it latter on pies and streusels.

The fancy word for almond on anything is Amaretto, as in amaretto raspberry preserve, amaretto cherry, so on so for. Instant flair without the effort :slight_smile:

2 Likes