Mulberry graft question

My next door neighbor has a big mulberry tree. I have a lot of seeding mulberry plants popping up everywhere in the yard , thanks to the birds. I would like to do some grafting experiment . As far as I know, mulberry plant has gender differences . Now, if I graft a female mulberry scion into a male mulberry tree, will the tree fruit???

Yes it will fruit. The rootstock won’t affect that characteristic.

1 Like

Thank you, fruitnut. Will it fruit better to graft the scion on female mulberry plant? I am just curious, when I am asking this question because I was thinking the rootstock got to have some influence on the scion’s behavior since we have been discussing so much about contribution of root stock of other fruit trees in various occasions. The characters such dwarf, disease resistance, early fruiting, etc. all sounded like due to influence of the root stock.

I won’t expect sex of rootstock to have any influence on sex or fruiting of the scion. But I’m just making an educated guess.

Fruitnut, your educated guess will be way better ground than mine.

I have a large mulberry in my yard that never fruits, must be male?? I think it would perfect to top work, what temp does a mulberry like to be grafted at? Do they take easy?

Just to be clear, since I have no idea who is reading and their individual knowledge, when fruitnut says a female mulberry grafted onto a male will fruit, I think he takes for granted a male pollen source available. Either a grafted variety that is self fruitful, another tree with male flowers, or a portion of your rootstock allowed to produce its flowers.

1 Like

Murky, mulberry needs another tree to pollinates???

IL847,

For some reason I read these posts and thought “persimmon” instead of “mulberry”. I guess I have persimmons on the mind.

I’m pretty sure that named cultivars of mulberry are self-fruitful and wind pollinated.

1 Like

Murky, understood.

Is this the mulberry your grafting over this year? If you give it a sex change what variety of mulberry will you be top working it to?

1 Like

I actually located four mulberrys that I can top work. Three are smaller , 15 feet with 2 inch trunks and one that is pretty big. It has several trunks and I think I can work it into a new tree. I got some pakastan mulberry and also some type of a dwarf mulberry. I also plan to bark graft a Osage orange onto one of them.

1 Like

With this cold weather they may be a little slow to push growth. I would wait until the last minute to graft. At least that is what I’m doing. Wait for the leaves to get a quarter to half way developed on the rootstock in my opinion.

1 Like

Mine were just showing a little green, I imagine this weather will slow them down. Maybe in two or three weeks.

1 Like

I guess the answer is always: “it depends”

First, the gender of the rootstock won’t affect the resulting tree. Since in commercial propagating operations one year seedlings are used as rootstock without ever being “sexed”.

Second, young mulberrys are known to change sex after shock, be it frost, transplanting, grafting. So you might end up with a male tree no matter what rootstock you choose, however the chance is slim.

Hello, has anyone grafted Morus nigra such as Noir de Spain, Persian or Black Beauty on Dwarf everbearing rootstock?

will be doing this next week and will update asap :slight_smile:

scrap my post above-- the >60 mph gusts destroyed the grafts, and continue to destroy more as i type this… will try again next year.
shouldn’t be whining though as other folks in our city have it much, much worse than just grafts getting dislodged(ripped roof, trees on their houses/cars etc.)

Stay safe away from falling trees and power lines.

Tony

That’s too bad, I lost a really nice graft when lightning struck a large tree near by. It’s hard to protect against Mother nature’s extremes, hope everything else is ok.