Muscadines 2023

I plan to add tame muscadines in the future… i have wild muscadine now and love those… well except for the tuf skins and seeds.

Hopefully they come up with a seedless variety that taste good and is thin skinned ???

I like having my grape trellis running north/south… so i have a east side (morning sun side) and a west side (evening sun side).

You can then prune the canopy some on the morning sun side to get some morning sunshine on your fruit (helps dry it out early in the day)… but then you can leave the west side canopy so the fruit is protected from the hot evening sun.

That is the advantage I see with a north/south trellis run.

If you prefer east/west … for what reasons ???

Also at some point I would like to see some pics of your best muscadine trellis setups. I may try to get some started at our new home location next spring.

Thanks

Here’s another information source:

1 Like

Grape flea beetle larvae.

Grape Flea Beetle | Buckeye Appellation.

2 Likes

Mine is east/west because it fits my property.

Thank you @kiwinut for the id.

@haldog - i just went and checked mine after your report. I’m experiencing the same, except the larvae appear to be smaller than yours and on the underside of most leaves. don’t remember ever seeing these on my muscadines. Also noticed metallic green beetles along the main cordons, not actively feeding on leaves. don’t ever remember seeing those either.

my muscadines have been extremely slow to wake up this year, even after a very warm spring. I’m worried i pruned them too late and somehow damaged them.

1 Like

@haldog. Those tiny worms are tough. I first used soap and water, then I used BT. These did not work. Then I went with Pyganic and one spraying got rid of them. @Fusion_power suggested Pyganic to me last year and it appears to kill all insects.

1 Like

It will kill weak insects, including larvae whose populations have not developed a resistance.

2 Likes

@leeGA mine were also slow to wake up, and late fry died to the roots but is resprouting. I think the late freeze was responsible. I’ve also never seen this pest before.

@Auburn I’m going to try some grandevo today, and if that doesn’t work go with the zeta-cypermethrin (new formula sevin). Anyone have any experience with Grandevo for this sort of pest?

1 Like

@haldog
The pyrethroid in the Sevin brand pesticide will kill them on contact.

2 Likes

It was an average crop last year I’d say.
But we had record breaking lows and wind chill on 12/23/22, -2 F without wind chill.
Then a very warm February followed by some hard freezes. So pretty much terrible weather.
My younger Late Fry is doing great though (only 3-4 years old and not fully mature)

Last year 2022 I started seeing open blooms on the Hall vines on 20220525. I looked over the vines today and they appear to be ahead of last season. In past seasons the Japanese beatles show up and love hanging out in the flowers. Normally I make one or two rounds a day with a pan of soap/water to drop them in. Sometimes I carry a small spray bottle of Pyganic. Both work on the existing bugs but it is very labor intensive. Last year I put out some Milky Spores onto my orchard floor and I hope this helps.

My aforementioned Ison vine that is barely growing so far this year has some kind of resin or tumor or something under the bark. Any ideas?
Including a pic of the pitiful growth too.

1 Like

That looks like some serious freeze injury. The “tumor” is probably callus trying to heal things, but probably futile. I had a lot of hardy plants injured by the December freeze, plants that normally can handle -3F with ease. That cold blast was brutal.

2 Likes

Brutal indeed. I had that thought too. Crud.

1 Like

lost a black beauty vine last spring to frost injury and it cracked kind of like that.

on a somewhat related note I have a vine in a 5 gallon rootmaker bag that has survived 2 winters in it without any attention at all from me. we had 2 nights around 3 degrees this winter. i barely even get around to watering it. its just sitting around in a pile. damn shame i lost the label and forgot what variety it is. i would recommend it as a winner for zone pushing. i think it might be Darlene but i really dont know for sure.

2 Likes

Paulk is crushing it here. Crazy growth compared to what ive seen from Black Beauty and Lane. It has found its way to a pear tree that lives next to it and is busy turning it into another trellis. I’ll need to intervene. Lane is very cautious and polite by comparison.

2 Likes

Probably immaterial but to clarify- I peeled the bark back in that picture. It naturally kinda cracks and can break off as you know I’m sure.

2 Likes

I planted two Paulk last year and they are growing well. I should get a few fruit about August.

I hate to see a vine like that because you have a lot of time invested in it. I think I would get its replacement growing under the vine in case it doesn’t survive.