My broken Shinseiki seedling cross is alive and produce again

Two years ago I did not thin the Shinseiki seedling graft enough and that graft broke due to the heavy fruits load. I wrapped the broken branch with water proof IV tegaderm and several layers of Cobain. Two years later, it is loaded with fruits again.

Tony

8 Likes

Wow- gives a guy hope. Nice job, Doctor!

2 Likes

If I remember this correctly, isn’t this a big old ornamental pear tree of some kind?

BD. Yes, You have good memory. I bark grafted 16 varieties of Asians and Euros variety of pears to this large ornamental Cleveland Flowering pear 10 years ago.

Tony

1 Like

Maybe I should do that to a street tree down the road from me! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Can we graft Asian pear to Euro pear? If yes I will do it next winter, my Euro pear has only 2 fruits this year, and 5 last year even the whole tree had full bloom every Spring.?

Vincent,

Yes, I grafted a few Asian pear varieties onto my Moonglow Euro pear about 4 years ago and they did fine.

Tony

1 Like

GThank you very much Tony. My Euro pear 6 years old and has a couple fruits every year, I planted her next to my Asian pear but I don’t think they are comparable for pollinating at all. I might graft somethings els onto her or remove her away for Maribelle de Nancy plum. Thank again for info . Vincent.