My Chocolate Jewel plum

Such pretty leaves. Do they stay that pink color for most of the season?

In cooler weather, they stay pink/red. In hotter weather, they change to dark-green just like Spice Zee Nectaplum.

There’s a chance that this hybrid could be sterile. It produced a lot of flowers, but no fruit at all. It bloomed along with the pluots, apricot, peacharine, peachmond and still no fruit. I even pollinated it with Santa Rosa Plum, F1 Moorpark Apricot, and Peacharine pollen and still nothing.

She also has two half-siblings, myrobalan plum (pollen parent) x Santa Rosa Plum ( seed parent), and no fruit either. And the third one, myrobalan plum (seed parent) x Apricot (pollen parent)? Produced a lot of flowers, but very little fruit.

I’m guessing that the sterility probably comes from the Myrobalan plum? But how? Krauter Vesuvious is a self-fertile plum.

1 Like

Don’t give up hope completely. I’ve had fruit trees bloom several times before they bore fruit.

If they are sterile, maybe there is a market for that? Lots of people grow ornamental plums but are annoyed by the messy fruits. Maybe you have the answer.

Another thought, some of the early hybrd plums were picky about what pollen source they accepted. I have several like that - known cultivars, but no fruit for me (Ember plum, Hanska Plum, LaCrescent Plum).

3 Likes

Weatherman, keep up the good work. I expect you will find a real winner some day!

2 Likes

My hybrid plum is in full bloom right now, as well as candy heart Pluerry, Sugar Twist pluerry, Geo Pride pluot, Emerald Drop pluot, Splash pluot, Santa Rosa plum, Shiro plum, and Satsuma plum, so hopefully, one of these trees will pollinate it.

1 Like

Looks like it finally set fruit.

14 Likes

I like the color of the fruit and the leaves!

3 Likes

Congratulations, its definitely unique

1 Like

Very Attractive!

Tonight’s wind gusts are expected to reach more than 50 mph.:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

1 Like

Here it is.

9 Likes

Try to protect it with netting so the critters won’t get to it :tomato:

1 Like

I covered them with organza bags.

1 Like

It will be tricky telling when it is ripe. If it tastes good, it should be a winner! Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Great start!

1 Like

Here it is. I thought it was going to be a cull because I tasted one two weeks ago and it tasted worst than an unripe myrobalan plum, however, the flavor improved as it ripened. It’s very juicy with melting flesh. From a scale of one to ten, I will give it a 7.5 for sweetness.

12 Likes

Here it is again.

9 Likes

Looks delicious, great work!

1 Like

@itheweatherman curious, where would you rank the satsuma and santa rosa vs the other varieties you had listed? are you the type who prefers complex flavors vs super cloying sweet fruits?

1 Like