My Greatest Successes

#3 would have to be cherry tomatoes. My crop this year was so much better than what I can get at the farmer’s market, much less the garbage you get at a grocery store. I just ate about a pound of them and it inspired me to make this post. Absolutely going to continue next year, and probably make a couple more Earthtainers since they gave me a good crop with little work.

#2 is, bizarrely, plums. I have only a single plum tree. I bought it despite never really liking plums on a lark in a big order from Raintree. Yet it proved less trouble and more productive than anything else last year, better than cherries, apples, blueberries, apricots, blackberries, peaches, etc. Why I have no idea, there aren’t any commercial plum orchards within 100 miles of Richmond or more. And they’re so good when allowed to property ripen. The OFM and curculio both avoid the plum tree in favor of apples and apricots too.

#1 is my morus nigra. I got maybe a dozen fruits. Yet it might be the best thing I’ve ever eaten. I really need to figure out how to make the thing actually grow. I have to keep it in a pot so I guess it isn’t really happy about that but I’m not sure why.

1 Like

Never turn your back on serendipity!

3 Likes