My honeyberry are showing green growth after looking dead for a year

Last year I got a Giants heart from Berries unlimited and a blue banana from Stark Bros. I had thought these died as they lost their leaves last summer or spring and showed no growth. Some people on here urged me to refrain from pulling them out as they thought they could push new growth later. Fall came with no new growth but I never got around to pulling them. Finally around May I start to see green coming out of the top of Giants heart where it intersects into more than one part. Blue banana is sending off a lot of suckers. Somehow they lived a season with no leaves and are going on. Quite interesting.

5 Likes

I see nobody had much to say in the past year about your ‘discovery’.

For me, I have leaves trying to pop on some of my early honeyberries. In February…but it’s been rather sunny and the bees are flying…something they didn’t do in April last year as it remained too cold.

2 Likes

I believe this is normal. Mine look awful and dead by the end of summer, and by late winter/early spring, they are doing fine.

2 Likes

My Honeyberries also look ugly most of the year. I’m glad to hear they aren’t dead.

3 Likes

As I recall, most honeyberry have a summer dormancy period when they don’t look so good. Mine are too small/young yet for me to pay them any mind except at random. They won’t truly be getting “full sun” until they get significantly bigger. At any rate, I wouldn’t assume they are dead just because they are brown in the middle of summer. My impatience has led me to damage assorted things that weren’t supposed to behave the way I wanted them too.

3 Likes

Mine keep green leaves all summer, even in recent drought years, although I think I watered them a couple times.

1 Like

Weirdly mine have leaves and what not now in zone 5 Colorado too. They almost or do seem to go dormant in summer as someone else said.

1 Like

Or at least I should say that about my small honey berry. My bigger honey berry seem to be able to carry a good part of summer. Likely due to their root system.

2 Likes

mine stay green also but are ratty looking with some yellow spots come july/ aug. they get full sun all day, except the ones behind the garage get half day. they actually stay greener than the full day sun ones do.

1 Like

Mine did not defoliate last year…and after losing leaves in November…this morning some of them have leaves again! (Too early).

2 Likes