My house was lost in the Paradise, CA "Camp" fire

That is terrible news, Steve, and I’m sorry about your loss of your home and orchard and everything else that went with them. I’m pretty sure I have friends who have lost homes in the fire that swept through Malibu.

These fires appear to be getting worse and worse and more and more frequent.

Very sad news, and I feel for your lose of home and orchard. Glad you and family are safe!

Here’s what’s left, absolutely heartbreaking and I still won’t be able to get back to see it first hand for some time.

this is terrible. I feel for you.

My house in Vermont burned. I so feel for you. Time will be your friend. I cannot imagine such devastation today. What happens next will not be the same, it will be better!

3 Likes

I’m sorry.
That pretty much says it, but it will get better.
Let us all know what scions you want, when you get to that stage.
One day at a time. One task at a time…

Steve, I am so very sorry. Your orchard looked so special and I’m sure your home also. I hope that every day gets a little bit easier. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

1 Like

That’s terrible! I’m sorry to read this, stay strong.

Such devastation!

My best wishes for you and your entire family, Steve.

Ditto the many posts above, Steve. I hope you will soon be able to look ahead and find joy in your plans and dreams for rebuilding your future – home, life, and orchard. Sue

1 Like

So sorry to hear your news Steve. I was wondering about you when Richard posted that map around Paradise, and I remember you being in Butte County. Glad to hear y’all got out and are safe. Good luck to you and your family.

Wow,

I can’t imagine coming home to just a chimney. Glad you got out. I saw some of the viral videos of people barely escaping with their lives. Hard for me to picture fire coming that fast.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your home and orchard. It was a horrible event. Thank goodness you and your family are safe. A long road back but it just takes time to get it all done. God Bless you and your family to help you find comfort with what is going on and to comfort you in the time ahead to get you back to your property.

We have two siblings living in Chico. That was much too close for comfort! I hope some of your rootstocks at least survive so you can graft to them. Well, now you can start with a clean slate and plant what you know works well for you in a sunny yard. I don’t think we are allowed to send scions or plants into California, or we could all inundate you with things. For now, just take life one day at a time and be thankful you all made it out. Things can only get better from this point. I’m glad to hear you were able to save your labs, too. Keep your chin up and hang in there! Hopefully some rain will clear the air soon and the sun will then come out again.

How horrible . . . you and your family will be in my thoughts. I listen to the news for a good part of the day - and hear about what individuals are experiencing. Very frightening. So glad you and yours are safe. I like Galinas’ sound, expert advice.

Hang in there Steve.

I am wondering how everyone is doing? Have you found a place to live? Got any garden plans yet?

Everyone is doing okay. My Mother and step Father are staying with my sister until they buy a new place. The insurance company found a house for me In Sacramento. I have this place for a year so I don’t plan on any gardening or planting trees. I was up at the burned property in Paradise and it looks like a few of my fruit trees may still be alive! I’ll know for sure if they bloom in the next few weeks.

20 Likes

A good sign!

1 Like