My kind of hippies

the 60’s have nothing on this bunch…

for someone who lives in vegas, i don’t do drugs and don’t drink alcohol(not even soda pop), but will definitely join and indulge with this bacchanal bunch :grin:

was tempted to write a bit of poetry re: the king of fruits, but the great naturalist Sir Alfred Wallace beat me to it >150 yrs ago(as quoted from wikipedia) :
The five cells are silky-white within, and are filled with a mass of firm, cream-coloured pulp, containing about three seeds each. This pulp is the edible part, and its consistence and flavour are indescribable. A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but which adds to its delicacy. It is neither acidic nor sweet nor juicy; yet it wants neither of these qualities, for it is in itself perfect. It produces no nausea or other bad effect, and the more you eat of it the less you feel inclined to stop. In fact, to eat Durians is a new sensation worth a voyage to the East to experience. … as producing a food of the most exquisite flavour it is unsurpassed.

6 Likes

Huge durian fan here too. Can’t get enough of the stuff. Though I diverge from Wallace in that I can’t eat more than a couple chunks at a time.

1 Like

when i was a kid, i wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole. Now it will take an act of god to pry me off of the ugly, spiny and allegedly ‘malodorous’ fruit, haha

1 Like