My mulberry and other fruits collection

Pakistan Mulberry clone 10 (hardy mutation)

3 Likes

Sangue e latte Mulberry (blood and milk)

2 Likes

Mulberry boninensis - japonese endangered cultivar

2 Likes

Another pakistan Mulberry _ small one

2 Likes

Morus nigra della Regina

Morus nigra unknown Portuguese cultivar
Planted a few weeks ago, lost its leaves but it’s coming back

Morus nigra Chelsea/king James I

3 more small morus nigras _ too dry, lost their leafs but they’re coming back now with regular watering since I have my water tank
(left to right _ aalst nigra, AGM, another German unknow)

2 Likes

Shangri la tree n. 1

Shangri la tree n. 2 a bit more dry

Unknow white fruiting Portuguese cultivar planted a few weeks ago, dried up and now fully leafing again

Gelso bianco _ Italian variety with white fruits

Mulberry bistrica _ planted this year, dried up completely, but shooting again Above the graft thank God

Gelso Rosso _ Italian variety with pink fruits

Fruiting pendula n. 1 _ Portuguese origin, black big fruits for a pendula, planted a few weeks ago, dried up completely and is now shooting again and fruiting

Fruiting pendula n. 2 _ UK origin

Gelso Nero _ black cultivar from Italy, huge fruits. Dried up and attacked by moles or voles, is coming back now.

Oscar

Unknow big black fruiting Portuguese cultivar planted a few weeks ago, dried up and now fully leafing again

Portugal Mulberry
Big black fruits cultivar

Lavendel _ dried up, coming back now

4 Likes

A few more of my trees

. Loquat tree, Unknow Portuguese cultivar bears big fruits and has 2 damaged trunks, I think It was a lightning a few years ago. Instead of cutting them I decided to try and airlayer them to get 2 more of these trees

Loquat Tanaka planted this year but dried out, it still has green wood when scratched so I am watering and praying lol

Loquat Argel/argelino Planted last year

My jujube, no idea which cultivar, the label onlay said jujube giant fruits lol

European Medlar/nespoli germânicas

Tamarillo, not the best position, getting full sun but alive, fruiting and shooting from the trunk

Paw paw sunflower planted last year. Thought was dead but came to life this year

Aracas/psidium cattleianum
From left to right - yellow, yellow and red

Araca/psidium cattleianum - purple variety and fruiting

Natal Plum/Carissa macrocarpa_ blooming and fruiting

Some of my fig trees
Preto de São João Graúdo

Capa rota

Pingo de mel

Branco de São João

Have a few more cultivars of figs but no time for more photos today

Cherimoya

5 Likes

Seeking Advice regarding my Pakistan Mulberry airlayers from experienced gardeners. I’ll be removing them from the tree in 2 weeks. (it will be around 2 months since I done them, should be enough no?)
Can I plant them directly in the ground or should I pot them for 1 year??
Thanks
Its my first time airlayering :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You first have to make sure they have roots before separating them. If they do, I would pot them up and keep them in part shade to make sure they’re good on their own after being separated from mother tree. Once they’re thriving in their pots, then you can plant them in ground.

2 Likes

Hi @chriso, just check them. They all have roots!!
I will cut the airlayers in a week’s time. I’m tempted to plant them in the ground directly more because of logistics, my orchard is 1h away of my flat and I can’t possibly pot them all up and bring them to my flat. I am afraid if I leave them in pots at the property they will dry out if I don’t go to water them so often or they’ll be stolen. I might pot 1 or 2 up as a backup though.

Hi,

The roots will not be enough to support the leaves. The tree might survive but will struggle over 2-3 years, especially that you have heat wave problems on your plot. Best is to stick them into 1l pot full of compost and keep them somewhere shaded. After one year they will have a massive root system and ill resume growth immediately.

It is pretty much the same as with the hardwood scion rooting - you do not put them directly into the ground, do you? You can but the probability of a success is much lower than putting it into controlled environment.

Question - where do you have Bistrica from? Agroforestry trust? I have ordered it this year but all mulberries were sold out within 2-3 days.

What is the hardy Pakistan mulberry? Is it some well known name of just a marketing gimmick?

Very nice plants, btw.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hi @Lex! Thanks for the reply.
I will try to pot them up and leave them at a shaded area of my orchard so.
Its been a very dry and hot summer here but fall is coming quickly, temperatures will start dropping and rain is coming also.
The hardy pakistan is named like that Clone 10 pakistan type by Dithmar from the Belgium nursery I got it from.
Bistrica and pink Moldova came from an Irish nursery, I’ll get the name later on

Well as I have such a dry and hot summer in my orchard I decided to plant some opuntias for fruits. Red variety and yellow variety.

5 Likes

4 Likes

On holidays in the Algarve, lots of fig trees here, some of the best Portuguese cultivars are from this area.
Found 2 very old fig trees in a centenary monestry full of very ripe, big and tasty figs. These were most likely planted by the nuns or priests of this now abandoned monestry or could be hundreds year old seedlings, will never know. No idea if it’s a known cultivar or not but anyways took some cuttings of both trees to propagate into my orchard :slight_smile:

1 of the trees I named it Convento (means monestry in Portuguese), the other Escadinhas (little stairs) due to their locations

4 Likes

What are you going to do with these? Root them or graft perhaps?

Cheers

1 Like

Gonna try and root them.

So, today I removed the airlayers from the Pakistan Mulberry.
Had more airlayers than I counted lol
Put like 10 in pots and like 6 in ground directly (no more pots… Lol)

Before:

After… The airlayers

The original tree final look - looks more even to me

3 Likes

Is it common for figs to ripen at this time in that area?

1 Like

Mainly middles of August, but some are ripening now.
Different cultivars you can get them ripe in July, August and September

2 Likes