My new acrage lot and I am prepareing for a brand new orchard in 2022

My 2 oldest children bought lot 1 (1.4 acre) and lot 15 (1.1 acre) and they convinced me to buy lot 4 (1.1 acres) with a more privacy near the Lake Cunningham Estate in NW Omaha with only one neighbor on the North side. I bought it so We are all can be close together so my wife and I can help taking care of the future grandkids (smart children). I will try to move as much small fruit trees as possible and re-establish the American persimmons , hybrid persimmon like JT-02, and Jujube trees. I will update the progress in the Spring of 2022. It may take a year to build this lake house though.

Tony

street-of-dreams-2019-sierra-homes-omaha-ne-img_38219c750d892503_4-3506-1-d35d528

23 Likes

Wow thats nice! Being in the back is nice! And near good fishing, you will have to make use of that lake! :slight_smile:

Also as my trees are growing i will be happy to share scion with you! Hopefully your experience on what works will be a big help in your choices on what to put the most effort into!

2 Likes

Thanks Paul. Z5 Omaha is brutal sometimes with that -29F once in a long while and from here on all grafted trees will be planting with the graft unions a foot under the soil level for insurance.

2 Likes

Congratulations Tony, that looks like a great setup. I am happy to help out with any scions you may need if I have any to offer. Are your children as excited about growing fruit as their landscaping as you probably are? 3. 6 acres is a lot of space for pawpaws/persimmons /jujubes.

2 Likes

Would the lake (slightly) moderate the highs and low temps? Nice location BTW, Congrats!

1 Like

Yes. They do want some fruit trees that are low maintenance like Jujube, Asian pear, Dwarft Girardi mulberry,
Morris Burton and Pork American persimmons.

2 Likes

Hopefully the lake effect will help moderate the temp a bit.

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Tony that is fabulous!!! Moving your trees? You can now have three orchards if your children do not mind. I love it! Congratulations!

1 Like