My Orchard Today July 2020

I’m on rocky clay myself and i started growing here without mulch and all my trees and bushes stunted. i tried fertilizing but instead of the trees growing, the weeds just got bigger. as soon as i started mulching them, they took right off. no need to fertilize. could be my short growing seasons why the weeds are so aggressive here.

1 Like

Nah, I weeded around my Kanza this morning. That aerates the soil and stops the competition for water as you very well know, Steve. I mulched it and returned the cage. Until the last week it’s been dry as could be dry, here. I got two good rains that allowed me to weed this heavier loam clay. I did around my nursery up above a couple 4-days ago.

I’ve been aerating those pawpaws, too. Sometimes it’s necessary to spray certain areas here because the weeds won’t hand-weed. After that I can get some aerating going and eventually a lot of what comes up I am able to hand-weed. Unfortunately I’ve seen the devastation to the soil from 5-8 years of spraying glyphosate (Round-Up) around trees where the soil micro ecology was destroyed for years with nothing growing around them when I discontinued spraying. It took sometimes three years for a weed to show up around a radius of 4-5 ft. from the tree or shrub. That’s not good stuff is what that told me.

Dax

4 Likes

Congrats Dax. It is exciting to see so many rare cultivars being grown in one place. It will be exciting to see how it all progresses. Thanks for sharing and please keep the reports coming. .

4 Likes

thank ya so much

a good day I hope you’re having

2 Likes

mulch man! mulch! cuts your spraying/ weeding to almost nothing. get mine free from a arborist . i put down a fresh layer every spring. worms galore in there! mulch once and done or weed all summer. :wink:

1 Like

I bought a pile. It’s tight to have, nearby.

1 Like

Very nice set up you’ve got there. I would love to have some space with rolling hills like that some day. Do you have any named varieties of pawpaw growing? I have noticed you give a lot of info on the pawpaw posts.
Well it all looks like a lot of work but totally worth it. :+1:
David

2 Likes

I’ve given away to friends locally several and plan to plant of the 30 or so I have remaining but will have some for sale. I grafted: ‘Atria’, ‘Betria’, ‘Getria’, ‘Rigel’, ‘X-Sweet’, & ‘Regulus’.

Take it easy, David.

Dax