My peach bench grafts failed...now what?

I had 15 pieces of rootstock I bench grafted early in the spring and unfortunately, none of them took.

I’d like to try to bud graft later in the summer.

What do I do next? Let the rootstock leaf out? Unwrap and take the failed scion off?

Lisa

1 Like

Are they in-ground or in pots. Anyway, if it were my rootstocks, I would remove the failed grafted and feed the trees wit fertilizer high in nitrogen to push growth this year. You can try T bud in late summer if the rootstock sized up well (it is hard to bud tiny rootstocks.

There is a good T bud tutorial by Fruitnut in the Reference category.

Also, check this how-to graft peaches. You can skip the majority and go to the last 10 posts starting with the one @ahmad posted. Those are good suggestions.

2 Likes

I agree with @mamuang. Let those peaches put some growth on! If you can get budwood in July/August, T and chip buds on peaches take much better then.

1 Like

I tried grafting peaches for the first time this year and got a 75% success rate. If you try again with dormant grafting… from all my reading the temps really need to be high enough. I grafted these well after the stocks had fully leafed out during a week that had daytime highs in the upper 70s to mid 80s. Even still I had only 3 of 4 grafts take (despite what looks like successful callousing on the 4th).

1 Like

Thank you, all. The rootstocks are all thriving and I’m keeping them in their ‘nursery pots’ on our patio. I will try bud grafting some at the appropriate time and may let some overwinter to use to bench graft again next spring.

Lisa