My seedling apple

I figured I’d share a few pics (not great, sorry) of one of my wild apples. This tree was here when I bought the place in 2012, but was not fruiting. I caged it up, pruned, and trained it and it bore it’s first fruit in 2016. It was loaded that year, then much less so in '17, loaded again this year. I imagine I could reduce that biannual tendency via thinning, but haven’t attempted that as of yet.

The fruit is crisp, more sweet than tart, and juicy. I don’t know how it stores, but will find out this year. I picked a bucket of them today, gave them a wash and put them in the crisper. All of my trees had a single spraying of Imidan in June…that was it. In the future I hope to be more on the ball with timely sprayings. That said, this tree and the fruit is quite clean. I didn’t have to sort much to get nice looking fruit. Flyspeck was prevalent, but that never bothers me. Just wash it off and good to go.

smittystree

That looks like one I’d like to try if you ever have any extra scionwood.
BB

Not a problem. Let me know what kind of scion you’re looking for. I’ve given a few folks watersprouts off this tree, but I know some people don’t like using those for grafting.

SMSMITH, Well, if it’s a seedling…doesn’t matter to me where the dormant scionwood would come from.
I can private message you my info…but we are 3 months or more from dormant wood.
Thank you.

I’ve decided to name this seedling Smitty’s Seedling :sunglasses:

It is still holding fruit, but they are beginning to drop in the wind. I picked another 5 gallon bucket today after eating one fresh off the tree yesterday. They are still crisp, a bit sweeter, and incredibly juicy. As in juice running down your chin juicy. I will have to say they aren’t quite as crisp as they were 2 weeks ago. They’ve colored up a bit more. As I picked the bucketful I threw away any with obvious bug issues, bird pecks, deformities, etc. I’d say I tossed right around 10. They do have flyspeck, but that isn’t a major issue for us. I’ll wash 'em off in the sink and they’re good to go. Those that I picked 2 weeks ago and placed in the fridge are still as crisp as the day I put them in there. Comparatively, the Red Baron fruit I put in the fridge on the same day has already lost a fair amount of their crispy texture.
fruit2

I don’t know, never really thought about it, where / what part the scionwood came from.

All I know is I grafted 3 trees, and all 3 took, and all 3 are still alive. Two on G202 and one on B9.

No noticeable troubles or anything, maybe a few aphids.
Thanks again, will look forward to trying it someday.

I want to add this: The other scions you sent me…everything took 100% except for one of the two Spartan grafts. (Excellent results from Jolena and from Lucky as well. Peculiar that the best results didn’t come from those selling scionwood, but from generous donors. Thanks a lot.)

Let me add all six grafts made with scions from “Uygi” also took, and 5 of the six are doing wonderful.

I’m glad the scions worked well for you. I look forward to hearing your thoughts about Smitty’s Seedling when yours bear fruit.

@smsmith do you have any CAR pressure up there? I’m wondering how Smitty’s Seedling does disease resistance wise.

I do have red cedar and other junipers in the area. I wouldn’t say this is a “CAR hotspot” but I definitely have some pressure. Smitty’s Seedling gets a few spots on the leaves, but it isn’t a major infestation by any means.

edited to add…I’d like to know how the tree does in different areas under different disease pressure. I’m more than happy to send out more scions next spring. Just be aware that I’m in central MN and scion harvesting season here may be later than many areas. It all depends on when the snow melts enough for me to get to my trees.