Lotus seed(dried)

Amount per 1 oz(28.4g)

Calories-94

Fat -0.5

Carbohydrate-18.6

Sodium-1.42mg

Potassium-388.4 mg

Protein-4.3g

By consuming 100 grams of Lotus seed one would get 350 calories and there is around 63-68 grams carbohydrate ), 17-18 grams of protein, and only 1.9-2.5 grams fat; the remainder is water, about 13%, and minerals (mainly sodium, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus. As a protein source, lotus seeds are relatively good, with a one ounce serving (of dried seeds) providing 5 grams. Lotus seeds are low in fibre.Read to know more about the importance of fiber in detail.

Lotus Seed Health Benefits

1.Helpful in diarrhea -lotus seeds is helpful in stopping chronic diarrhea.As it contains a high amount of astringent properties and also consumed to improve appetite.Also, people who are suffering from constipation should avoid it.

1. Their low sodium and high magnesium content make them for those suffering from heart disease, diabetes , high blood pressure and obesity.

3.These seeds contain an anti-ageing enzyme,which is believed to repair damaged protein.

4.As per Ayurveda, Lotus seeds have astringent properties that have specific benefits to the kidney.

1. Lotus seeds also contain kaempferol,a natural flavonoid that prevents inflammation and ageing.
    Benefits of Lotus Seed
2 Likes

Nutritional Value

Lotus seeds are good source of protein, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. They are also low in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., director from the Institute for Traditional Medicine, also reports that lotus seeds are a good source of protein and used in soups in traditional Chinese cooking. The website Nutritional Wellness also lists iron and zinc among trace elements included within the seeds.

Anti-Aging Properties

All lotus seeds contain the anti-aging enzyme L-isoaspartyl methyltransferase, which is said to help repair damaged proteins, according to the Kushi Institute, a macrobiotic website. Because of this, many cosmetic companies are now finding ways to include the seeds in anti-aging blends. Daike Tian, in an article on the Water Gardeners International website, states that lotus seeds contain kaempferol, a natural flavonoid which prevents inflammation. Tian claims this this helps repair aging gum tissue.

Medicinal Uses

Dharmananda claims that lotus seeds have astringent properties that have specific benefits to the kidneys, helping to restore vital energy within the body. He states that the seeds are also used to treat sexual conditions. In accordance with Chinese medicine, the sweet and neutral taste of lotus seeds said to nourish the spleen and alleviate diarrhea. Dharmananda goes on to claim that the seeds are traditionally thought to have sedative or calming properties, and are therefore used to treat insomnia or restlessness. Tian claims that within Chinese medicine, the lotus embryo, or heart of the lotus seed, benefits the heart because of its bitter and cooling properties. The bitter components are said to include the isoquinoline alkaloids, which he claims have antispasmodic and calming effects, which he claims can help dilate blood vessels, thus reducing blood pressure.

Combination Formulas

Lotus seeds are often a vital component when combined with other herbs to create traditional formulas within Chinese medicine. Dharmananda lists several on the Institute for Traditional Medicine website. The Sheng Ling Baizhu San blend is well known and is said to help weak digestion and alleviate diarrhea. The formula Qingxin Lianzi Yin can be used for urinary and reproductive disorders, including urinary tract infections and prostatitis.

2 Likes
3 Likes

When I was growing up in Vietnam, my mother sometimes would cook dried lotus seeds, dried longan, and dried jujube in a sweet soup for us to eat at night to help with sleeping. So sad I can’t do it now because of all the preservatives they use on dried fruit. At that time she would buy everything in small amounts, or they would get black mold on very quick

4 Likes

WOW! Great story! Thank you very much!
Can you tell some uses they have to lotus seeds? Thank you very much! :blush:

2 Likes

The fresh ones are very good but it is very hard to find. When my brother studied at the University of Nebraska Omaha a long time ago, his wife told us that there was a lake full of lotus that she could get the pods, but it may not be there anymore. Usually here they sell the candied seeds as a special gift for Chinese New Year. They are also used as the filling for the mooncakes during the Mid-Autumn Festival. One of my sister-in-laws still makes the sweet soup when we have family gathering. The dried jujube makes it sweet, but the cooked texture and the dried skin are very bad, so I just pick some longan and the liquid when she is not looking!!! We are very lucky to have super nice relatives.

2 Likes

That’s really great! And they use the flower buds and leaves to cook? Thank’s!

2 Likes

Micro Lotus:

Little Green Lotus

Little Green Lotus Micro Lotus

Micro Lotus

Mini Chu Lady Lotus Micro Lotus

Pink Makeup #9 Micro Lotus

2 Likes

The pods, ngo sen, can be sliced and used in salad The leaves, la sen, are not edible but are used as the wrap for steamed rice mix. There are many recipes online that you can google using the Viet terms directly, and lotus seeds is hat sen.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! The seeds are already on travel… just hope they arrive fast! :grin:

2 Likes

Lotus flowers are loved by the Chinese people because, in the words of Cao Zhi (192-232), “Of all the plants in the world, the lotus flower is the most unique.”

http://www.horti-expo2019.org/2017-09/15/content_41593040.htm

Inga vulpina fruits…

Pomelo Chandler

4 Likes

Pitanga fruit

Baya Marisa apple

7 Likes

Musa robusta

Musa Rajapuri

Himalayan fruit

3 Likes
2 Likes

Wonderful orchard, Luis! I’ve enjoyed the virtual tour.

2 Likes

Thank you very much my friend! I will continue to post about my trees and those plants i’m about to have…
Best regards! :smiley:

3 Likes

A better video about sprouting lotus seeds…

4 Likes

Some Supernova almonds

My last black plums

Super Dwarf Cavendish

7 Likes