My take on my persimmon

My major varieties of persimmon are just 4, K/B/S. Giombo, R/B, Pulu.
Have a few varieties that don’t cut the grade, they eventually fall of and the animals clean up.

KBS is always been best, not Sayo, too small, but good. I still have 3 Sayo trees.

15 Likes

Pull, that’s a new one to me. What’s it like?

1 Like

KSBS looks somewhat early if they already soft ripened on the tree. Is this typical?

Most of them are not ripe yet as you can see. There are always stragglers that ripens sooner, normally November is the date for most.
Pulu, is a variety that was send to me from Japan through a aunt living in Louisiana, send to a family member in Missouri than to my neighbor.
No name was in the package, so I believe it is in the Fuyu family. Its none astringent.
Andrew, do you recognize this plant?

4 Likes

Bob,
If Rojo ripen in Nov for you, do I have any hope that it would ripen in time in zone 6a, a zone coler than yours?

Manuang, my persimmon collection is borderline in zone 6B. I haven’t had a tree die on me yet, some are getting to be 8,9 years old, continue to produce fruits every year. Temps in my area could dip down to minus 2 or 3 in the winters. If you watch some of the Japanese growers, they are pretty good at pruning and shaping you might get by with some winter protection. Tony is getting tired of that winter protection, I would to. If you still want to grow them, consider a 20 gl squat container and have the taproot removed for starters and than repot every 3 years or 4.

3 Likes

Where is your exact location in Arkansas?
I am in Arkansas,too.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try it in a pot.

I, too, am not a fan of winter protection of fruit trees in ground. It was fine the first couple of years. Once thosein ground trees start to grow, it becomes a challenge and time consuming. So not worth it IMHO.

N/W corner of Arkansas on Beaver Lake. A single tree of a R/B or KBS, that’s only 6’ tall, full with fruit? Worth the challenge? For me, it’s a yes vote.

6 Likes

We are pretty close. I am about 50mins to beaver lake.
This is my persimmon tree. Several varieties on one tree.

12 Likes

Btw Rojo now in stock at Just Fruits Exotics. They tend to sell out fast.

2 Likes

Sophia, howdy neighbor, GReat!! Great looking tree!!

Potted Rojo B. No fruit yet Bob.

Potted. Tam Kam Non astringent Kaki

7 varieties multi grafted
American persimmon

Prok American persimmon

In ground JT-02 Hybrid persimmon

In ground Kassandra Hybrid persimmon

Tony

9 Likes

Btw Bob, here are your second year Bamboo survived. -20 F last Year.

Tony

1 Like

Tony, that R/B will be good this next season by looking at the flower buds, just make sure to leave 6 fruits max. Hopefully you can keep that tree at 6’ max.

2 Likes

So how much winter chill do you give these potted persimmons? How do you judge that ?
What do you do to satisfy the cold requirement ?
I brought a “pen” inside last fall., it looks confused !
Just a few leaves this year, no real shoot growth

Are you asking me H/B? I wouldn’t worry so much for the above ground part of the tree. The rootball need more protection. You to find find a way to do that.When I lived in the Chicago area, I dug a trench just for my fig trees, at the time I only had 3 trees, after that I just stuck them in the garage, works pretty good.Now my figtrees are in the ground and the more fancy ones in containers, stored in the garage.
If temps hover around 1 or 2* in the winter persimmon can handle it.
I believe, you have too much root damaged.

3 Likes

I just leave all my potted persimmon outdoor until the first of November until all the leaves turned brown and most will fall off. I then bring them in my unheated tornado shelter for overwinter. I watered them once a month to keep the rootball moist and bring them back outdoor in April.

Tony

3 Likes

Ok , I assume your shelter is cool enough to satisfy some chill recuirement.
Maybe I brought mine in to soon, and kept to warm.
Mostly iam worried about a chocolate and coffee cake ,making it through a winter here .
May just burry in mulch ? Or put in the pump house ( root cellar - like ) ?

Tony, you don’t know how to kill a tree, bamboo looks healthy.

1 Like