My worst fears

Sorry to hear the damage Steve!

1 Like

would love to do some spring southern catfish fishing. caught channel cats in N.M when i was stationed there. slept under a tarp durring the day and fished all night. the lake had huge crawfish . some as big as 10in. looked like lobsters. we caught and ate those with catfish and washed all down with beer. great times. they used to get big blue cats down the lake near the dam. many over 50lbs. those big cats fight like our lake trout.

1 Like

funny thing is they didn’t touch the young mulberry, elders or my gooseberry. my apples are big enough they left them alone thank God!

1 Like

no like most sours they are on their own roots. im hoping it comes back by suckers like most other sours do. they didnt touch my older sours.

2 Likes

I missed this when you posted it, sorry to hear those little bastages did so much damage. Last year I had all 70 of my extra root stocks in the nursery bed girdled. Fall of 2022 I noticed a lot of vole activity in the nursery bed and figured I was going to get hammered in the winter. I made some pvc vole bait stations and ended up with not a single tree girdled. I think I wiped out their population, or I hope I did. The TomCat poison @ Tractor Supply is what I use, and a homemade bait station like this works well: Build a PVC Mouse & Rat Bait Station - YouTube

3 Likes

i did the same before the 1st snowfall in dec. and they still did damage. driving around ive noticed many young trees that were striped 3ft. up so the population is high everywhere. got a spunky female cat. once shes fixed out she goes and i will start baiting much earlier this year.

3 Likes

My cat has started catching them and laying the dead vole at my feet. I praise him mightily and send him back for more. :cat2:

5 Likes