Myer's Royal Limbertwig

Enjoyed my first Myer’s Royal Limbertwig yesterday. Had a little bird/bug damage on the bottom but still plenty left for me to enjoy. :slight_smile: Waiting for Kentucky, Red Royal, Black, Victoria, Red, Virginia, and Brushy Mountain Limbertwigs to ripen.

24 Likes

That’s a beautiful apple…!!

3 Likes

Did it have a bit of tart in it or just sweet? I’ve tasted both versions, much prefer the one with some tart to offset the sweet, then it’s a fabulous apple.

And Please report on taste of your other LTs when they ripen. Black (winner) and Brushy (loser) are only two of those I’ve tasted.

I’m waiting here for Red Royal LT and Swiss LT to ripen. Have high hopes for both altho the apples are not in the sun.

Do you find that best taste comes from apples that get direct sun?

1 Like

Hey Hambone
It was a nice blend of sweet and tart, Delicious. My Brushy Mt. LT last year was not an apple to eat out of hand. If I get enough this year I’ll try them in sauce or a pie. Found a Kentucky LT on the ground this afternoon. Was more sweet than tart but I enjoyed it. Here’s the Kentucky LT.

9 Likes

I have a Myer’s Royal LT I planted last year. The tree looks great so far. I was impressed with the growth just in one years time. Mine is on a M111 rootstock.
Your apple looks great. I hope it tastes as good as it looks.
I was thinking of putting in a Victoria LT. It is supposed to be another good LT choice and the Victoria LT is suppose to ripen earlier than the Myer’s Royal LT.

2 Likes

Does your Kentucky LT have much of that Limbertwig flavor to it? It was one I had been thinking of adding as well.

1 Like

Hey Mike
This was the first Kentucky LT I’ve tasted so can not really say for sure about the taste. This apple had bird/bug damage and dropped early. The other Kentucky LT’s are holding tight. My Victoria LT ripens a month later than my Myer’s Royal and is a smaller apple but last years crop had a very good taste.

4 Likes

The Myer’s LT is a smaller apple than the Victoria LT?

1 Like

Greetings,
My experience with the Brushy Mt. LT so far hasn’t been good. The first three years they were small, very hard, with a very thick skin. To me, they don’t have the LT flavor that I’m used to. This year they are much bigger but I haven’t tasted them yet. They should be ripe in early October down here in the foothills of South Carolina. My Red LT and Red Royal LT are looking good and they should be ripe in a week or so. They have the classic LT flavor.

2 Likes

Please post the results of what they taste like when they get ripe this year.

1 Like

The Victoria is the smaller than the Myers Royal.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that you guys have not liked the Brushy Mt Limbertwig very much. It was the winner in the Monterey Bay apple tasting, last year, out of 77 varieties.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I have a couple of grafts from last winter that are doing well.

I look forward to hearing more about the other LT varieties!

2 Likes

I wasn’t impressed by mine off the tree, but after a few months of storage, I liked them quite a bit. Caney Fork LT also improves considerably in storage.

4 Likes

Turns out my Brushy Mt. LT is probably a Caney Fork Limbertwig. I believe the scionwood I ordered was mislabeled years ago. It doesn’t match the descriptions I’ve read and doesn’t seem to have the same shape, especially on the blossom end. Eventually, I’ll post some photos and see if you guys can confirm that for me.
Anyway, I just picked them yesterday and they are much better than they’ve been previously at least in size and taste. They’ve been better colored in the past. This year they’re primarily yellow with some having a very light blush. In more normal years all of them had about 30% blush.
I will get a photo up when I get a chance. Thanks.

3 Likes

How many years have your Caney Fork Limbertwigs given you fruit? Please describe the taste. I got rid of mine as they were the most tasteless apple I’ve ever tasted.

1 Like

I’ve had fruit from Caney Fork for four years. The first three years yielded small fruit of about two inches. I have some this year approaching four inches. The peels are very thick and the flavor is moderately sweet with little of the typical Limbertwig flavors. The Caney Fork is grafted onto a secondary branch, I’m considering cutting it off and grafting on a Black LT. I had one years ago that was blown down in a thunderstorm. It was always consistent in bearing and flavor.

1 Like

Caney Fork LT as far as I can tell is a cooker.

1 Like

I made an apple pie last week with Caney Fork. It was very flavorful but lacked tartness. The apples were just ripe, not under or over. Maybe apple butter or sauce? I’m keeping it for now.

3 Likes

MONTERAY BAY TASTE TEST VERDICT: "we had Brushy Mountain Limbertwig as the runaway victor. Consistently in the top three for us, it has a combination of qualities that are hard to beat: Great, yet highly accessible flavor. It’s sweet with a fabulous texture and crunch, but it’s balancing acidity and banana/vanilla aromatics keep it out of the “beginner apple” category. Hailing from the humid South, we promote this North Carolina [actually, TENNESSEE] native as a great choice for globally warmed backyards and orchards, since it’s fairly low-chill, heat and sunburn resistant. Nice also that it ripens over a long period, so can be counted on from late September to mid-November in the case of this year.

1 Like

MONTEREY BAY APPLE TASTING VERDICT: “we had Brushy Mountain Limbertwig as the runaway victor. Consistently in the top three for us, it has a combination of qualities that are hard to beat: Great, yet highly accessible flavor. It’s sweet with a fabulous texture and crunch, but it’s balancing acidity and banana/vanilla aromatics keep it out of the “beginner apple” category. Hailing from the humid South, we promote this North Carolina [actually, TENNESSEE] native as a great choice for globally warmed backyards and orchards, since it’s fairly low-chill, heat and sunburn resistant. Nice also that it ripens over a long period, so can be counted on from late September to mid-November in the case of this year.”

1 Like