Naming Your Seedling Trees

How/what do you name your seedling or unknown source fruit trees? I’ve been updating my orchard notes and realized I now have a good number of not-commercial trees and grafts. We’re blessed with a number of good wild apple trees that I prune and manage, and various grafts from not-named trees. For note taking I started out using location names (such as Front Yard) or numbers (a7, a13) but as i added trees that got cumbersome. I went to “naming” them. Many are named after cats we’ve had or have – Cali, Lilli, Bulero, MrC, etc. (Though that’s a little difficult when a tree dies or has to be cut down!) Others have names from something nearby – Splitter, Cowgate, Sweet Cow. Those I’ve grafted from unknown variety trees have source family or location names – Hoholik, L’Anse, Emma’s, Post Office. Those from planted seeds just get one parent names for now – Dudley Seedling, Emma’s Crab Seedling. Maybe when they fruit I’ll come up with something more interesting!

My naming certainly isn’t formal, but it’s fun and I find easier to remember each tree. Sue (still winter here).

apples-wild-fruit2019-names-gf

13 Likes

Yes, I sometimes name seedling trees. My granddaughter and I hand pollinate a Jonagold with a Big Red June apple. It’s about seven feet high and hasn’t bloomed yet. My grand name is Abigail so the seedling’s name is AbiGold.

4 Likes

Congratulations!

(ps. bright idea… you might move the other trees to the front yard and get bigger apples!)

4 Likes

Last year or the year before, Fedco offered a tree they called “Tater House” after the location the seedling was found. I thought that was such a fun name – might have to grow it if/when they offer it again.

I don’t have any seedlings, but I think good names have stories.

1 Like

Fedco offered scionwood of that variety for spring 2022.

Hah! Too bad that “Front Yard” is in the lowest, coldest spot on our property! It’s a trooper though. Apple is a bit on the tart side though. While the smallest of the group, MrC and Bulero, are the tastiest. Such is apple life.

1 Like

I agree! I love the stories. And I have a graft of Tater House growing, too. Can’t wait to taste it but it’s still small. Sue

2 Likes

Ah… well, that’s true. Long story, but I moved house and am starting over with espaliers. I don’t have anything to graft onto yet, so I skipped the scion lists this year. At some point I’ll probably get a scion if they keep offering it.

1 Like