NectaPlum

It’s good to have that on a nectaplum since I have to remove so many of the thrip scarred ones!

1 Like

Grrr. Many of the mass-planted “boulevard” plants are hosts to thrips.

This fruit from your orchard Brady? Looks so juicy.

Yes,the tree is still small,but puts out a fair amount of fruit. Brady

2 Likes

Last year I asked Raintree about Tri lite peach plum and Spice Zee Nectaplum they told me both will have the leaf curl problem and performing not too well in PCN. That why I did not order from them. Your tree look great, is it taste good? Thank you Brady.

This tree is taking on the canonical candelabra form of plums.

7 Likes

Got my first taste this season. Delicious! Started mine in a container this year from bareroot. The one I started last year died due to drainage issue. This is the size of one of the fruits.

14 Likes

Net,
That is extremely impressive to plant a bare root stone tree in a container and got fruit a few months later.

How did you do it? Care to share your secret?

1 Like

Finished pruning the Spice Zee Nectaplum this morning. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Richard,

I liked how you shape all your stone fruit trees. You are not afraid to use your pruner.

Tony

2 Likes

Mine always kind of look like crap, maybe in twenty years I will get as good as Richard, his look like ones in a picture book of back yard orchard trees

1 Like

Thank you for your kind remarks. The real credit goes to R.S. Martin’s book – now in re-print from a variety of authors – and also to my father who set the example back in my youth.

Don’t miss the section on “the training of young trees”. That I’ve followed for the trees he recommends – even using a chain saw on old misshapen trees.

How To Prune Fruit Trees - cover

2 Likes

6 Likes

Which rootstock is your Nectaplum on?

1 Like

Citation.

1 Like

Do they ever use Mariana or Myrobalan as root stocks for Nectaplums? If not, is it because it has a higher peach/nectarine parentage and it would be incompatible?

I have one on citation and I’ve seen them on Lovell, but not these other two rootstocks.

I have one here, and I like it a lot. The first couple years fruit was bland, but last year it was very good. It behaves like a nectarine, probably explains the rootstocks too

1 Like

A few days ago I dug up my ailing Nectaplum from a poor damp area in my yard and placed it on higher ground with better drained soil. we will see how it responds. Hopefully it adjusts tot he new area and starts to flush out.

1 Like

Informative illo!

Last month the leaves on our NectaPlum drooped, turned brownish, and started falling off. I cut it down today and most of the cambium is brown with a few streaks of yellow here and there. No sign of pests or disease. Maybe I’ll learn more when I dig up the roots and get a soil analysis.

3 Likes