Nectarine now starting to flower

Jan 29 - Not nearly as many blooms on it as last year.

4 Likes

Hi Matt:

You’re 5b in Canada, almost like me (5). Could you tell me a bit more about your greenhouse, please? From the pictures provided you seem to have a polyethylene (plastic) roof over it (like mine). Do you use it 12 month/year? What dimensions? Did I see snow outside? Is it connected to your house in any ways? How to you heat during winter? Did I see a whiffletree label on your nectarine tree? Thanks. Marc

Hi Marc!

Yes I use two layers of that plastic, This is the second one I made which is now about 8x9 ft. Almost a big square. I do use it 12 months a year. Growing fruits and citrus in ground. It is about 50 feet from the house in a position for best winter sun. Yes There is some snow outside and the temp right now 1:17pm outside sits at -11C inside the greenhouse 15C. I use two small electric heaters and a fan when it’s this cold out. Normally it’s one heater and the fan. It’s safe to say the daily high has been 15C since early Dec and about 5 days of 20C. LOL good eye. You might have but I have no idea.I’ve never paid too much attention to the tags.

1 Like

Hi:

Mine is 21X24 and heating cost would be quite high for the winter period… I put some heat from April 1 to November 1 but that it. I wish I could be like Dan Bostan (he is on Facebook) and have the energy, time and expertise to do what he does with fruit trees. But for now I do read a lot about greenhouses. Thanks! Marc

1 Like

Here is a pic from the other day. Peach bloomed first, Apricot and now the nectarine

4 Likes