Need advice on a broken cherry tree at the graft union

My dog broke my newest cherry trees at the graft union.

Is there any way to save it?

The bark was hanging on by 3 inch strip. I basically treated it like a graft by wrapping it in parafilm then a nursery tape. I then staked it to stabalize.

1 Like

I don’t know what better thing you might have done. But I’d start planning its replacement just in case. I don’t think it’s got a very good chance, but I’d try anyway!

2 Likes

How is the dog?

3 Likes

Oblivious to the damage he caused

11 Likes

Your tree should be fine but it might take a couple of years to fully mend. I had a similar situation several ago with an apple tree but it was due to an F2 tornado coming near my tree. My tree is now fully mended and is loaded with small apples. Keep your tree stabilized and it should heal.

1 Like

Nice dog

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Should i cut back the new growth and maybe attempt to bud to another tree?

In orger to prevent girgling the tree should i retie the tree every three months?

Maybe i should change the dogs name to Tornado :smile:

1 Like

Tape it tight at the break and where you secure it to a brace. You do need to re tape as needed but only after several months assuming the break heals.

2 Likes

Thanks will do.

1 Like

A good brace is important in such cases, get a nice stiff stick or rod and wrap tightly along the trunk.

1 Like

The dog?

2 Likes

No. I know he is a lost cause.

1 Like

That’s a good looking pooch.

1 Like

Update: the tree is alive and actively growing 8" new growth. Heres hoping the summer height doesnt put undo stress on the plant.

Update: the tree is still alive but the break doesnt look fully healed, so im still worried disease will take it.

For what it’s worth, Hurricane Juan broke our cherry and we had an inch or perhaps a little more of live connecting bark left. We pulled the tree up and nailed an iron bar across the break and it has now just about engulfed
the bar and looks pretty good. It’s a pie cherry, Montmorency, so won’t have a real long life in this climate, but it has cropped heavily since 2003, iron bar mending and all :slight_smile: The tree was perhaps 6 or 7 inches in diameter when the hurricane broke it.

1 Like

It’s going to be more problems than it’s worth and it takes years to recover from that injury(maybe). If you have a warranty definitely get a new tree. Bummer! Nice Shepard.