Need extra time for planting

We are clearing some trees where the orchard will be. Some of the plant material is expected to arrive maybe a week or two before we are done, next week. Southeast Michigan. I’m familiar with heeling things in until able to plant or keeping roots moist in a cool area, but is there anything different for fruit trees and shrubs? Quince, apple, tart and sweet cherry, persimmon, medlar, currant (yes, I go the permit), grape, paw paw, peach. I can put the shrubs in pots outside, but anything different with the trees? Thank you!

2 Likes

If they’re dormant you can simply put the roots in damp sawdust or pine shavings, and keep them in a cool, dark place, like a basement.

4 Likes

Ok. Perfect thanks. Correct they will be bare root.

I plant a lot of things in used nursery pots. Then, I’ll plant them in the fall, or 3 years form now.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m shocked you are expecting an order this early…

I’m also in SE Michigan and I know from experience that my nursery orders will not likely arrive until at least the beginning of April (and usually after the 15th)

Scott

1 Like

I think they know it’s a warm winter…Burnt Ridge is shipping my order tomorrow…a week earlier than I expected. (Means I can get serious on apple grafting, I already did 15 to existing trees and rootstocks.)

2 Likes

I’m kind of shocked too. It’s Stark. Last year their berry order was super early as well. Called and they couldn’t change the date. Rocking a big ear infection currently so I haven’t called them yet to see if they can modify the ship date.

Could be. True. I mean I can definitely get the shovel in the ground no issue there.

I’d be happy if Burnt Ridge mailed my order a little earlier this year.

Some years I’ve waited until the third week of April before getting my order.

My soil is still wet, but I have been able to sink a trowel in it almost all winter (with the exception of about 2 weeks in Feb).

Scott