Need guidance on grafting Fuzzy Kiwi

What is the recommendation for grafting fuzzy kiwi? Whip and tongue? Before leafing out or after? I know the tend to have a lot of sap.

i don’t know what a fuzzy kiwi is.

But my kiwi berry’s (arguta) have hollow stems.

I have not grafted them yet.
But i am planning on trying W&T or a chip bud. (specificaly chipping a smal scion bud from a thin branch, onto a thicker rootstock branch. (to avoid the whole hollow stem problem)

If you get the bark slipping you could also try a T-bud.

They are all easy to graft and every technique works.

Just make sure that sap isn’t gushing /flowing out on the rootstock. It will make your graft fail.

1 Like

Fuzzy kiwis are Actinidia deliciosa. Pronounced fuzz, green interior.

Golden kiwis are Actinidia chinensis aka Actinidia deliciosa var. chinensis. Less fuzz, roughly same size as green, yellow interior.

Kiwi berries (aka hardy kiwi) are Actinidia arguta. No fuzz, grape-cherry sized with variable interior color (var. purpurea is reddish).

There are also Actinidia kolomikta (trade name Arctic kiwi), and Actinidia polygama (trade name silver vine), and Actinidia melanandra (most commonly seen as Ken’s Red which is a hybrid with Actinidia arguta var purpurea) commercially available.

I prefer to wait and graft dormant wood onto soft green new growth in spring once temps are nice and warm. Green shoots don’t bleed sap. I use whip and tongue and parafilm. You just need to be gentle, as the green shoots are tender. The cambium is not as well defined at that point, so alignment is not so critical and it calluses rapidly. One nice benefit of this is you can let the fast growing new shoot grow until it reaches a stage where the diameter/height matches what you need. The grafts heal and grow very rapidly, so you need to pay attention to the parafilm, as it can split every couple of days. Just wrap a bit more on, and after a couple of weeks, it should be healed enough to just let it split.

I also tried chip budding in early/mid summer last year on semi-green shoots, and it was easy and very successful.

I use various grafts when the first leaves are approaching full sized. I wrap well and put in a bunch of cuts below the graft for the sap to bleed out of. Usually I have a high rate of success. This last spring only about half of them made it though, not sure why.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Will be interesting springtime. As long as I don’t get hit by Brood X.