Need help with sticker bushes and wild raspberries

Will the spray not kill all of the varieties? Kind of looking for an all purpose one spray kills everything.

It probably will, but some species have different timing considerations for optimal results, or may benefit from a sticker/spreader.

1 Like

Sticker/spreader? I’m going to try smsmiths advice with spray deisel mix. To answer your question I am on the virginia/maryland line. Did you decide on your grafting?

Triclopyr/diesel at the recommended rate for the target species , at the recommended time, and via the recommended method will almost certainly control most woody vines/shrubs/trees.

I fear the RoundUp ads have convinced folks that herbicides are “easy to use” and “anybody can do it”. While it’s true that herbicide use doesn’t require a Mensa membership, there is quite a bit of science that goes into their use. Before I use any herbicide I read the label and do a bunch of research on the interwebs about how best to use it on the species of plant(s) I am targeting. Every chemical has downsides…

FWIW…the buckthorn I sprayed here was done in late November through December. On a day where it gets above 30 degrees or so, I can still smell the diesel/Crossbow (it has a distinct smell) on the buckthorn when I snowshoe through the area.

I will look up the spray times for sure as well as methods. Did not consider a different time may be more effective. Even so, I would not expect much to stand up to that combo in the growing season. I appreciate your advice and it will be put to use soon.

Snowshoe through the area? Wow, guess that makes working a little harder.

Now I’m snowshoeing, before the snow piled up I was spraying buckthorn with diesel and Crossbow :wink:

Used the crossbow couple weeks back. You were right it does stink, but it knocked just about everything out in one spray. With a light coat of it at that. Think I need to keep that on hand from now on.
Thanks.

1 Like