Need some help picking out garden seeds

I second true leaf market, I bought bulk seed there last winter for micro greens and they had great germination rates and great prices.

1 Like

Thanks @Katie_didnt_Z4b that’s good to know. Low seed germination seem to be a big problem with some seed orders I’ve gotten. I’ve started sprouting many garden seeds prior to planting them to make sure what I’m putting in the ground.

I’ve used Johnny’s extensively in the past, but did use Territorial the past 2 seasons. I’ll be going back to Johnny’s for next spring, I felt their germination rate was superior. Another good source for me has been High Mowing Seeds.

3 Likes

I’ve used sustainableseed And Seedsaversexchange.com …seems to have been very good for me.

1 Like

Johnny’s 2019 selections are available now

2 Likes

Yeah, I enjoy ordering from sustainableseedco.com

They’re out of organic provider bean seeds, but they have conventional (1lb, 1600 seeds, 12.99; 5lb, 8000 seeds, $49.99)

Check out Harris Seed. Provider bean seeds; 1275/lb: 5lb treated $13.00; 4Lb Organic $32.99. Not sure if they’re cheaper for everything, but the bean seeds prices look good.

2 Likes

Is anyone buying from Baker Creek nowadays?
https://www.rareseeds.com/

Never have, never will. I find their advertising approach repulsive.

4 Likes

Never bought from them, seem a bit high, but I make sure to get their free catalog every year. Very nice layout.

1 Like

Clark, I’ve used Jordanseeds.com in Minneapolis for 30 yrs. Jake jr. sells the newest hybrids or the old proven open pollinated seeds. Last year, for Jade II bean seed, was 2.47/ lb. in 2 lb. packs. Never found any one less expensive for seed and quality has always been high. Jake is a knowledgeable grower and been around a long time. If you need a lot of seed, he’s a good source.
Chikn

1 Like

I won’t suggest any particular company, but will give this link to a page I maintain on my website. Some of the better organic sources are Sandhill, High Mowing, Fedco, Johnny’s, etc. As always, do your due diligence. Some of these companies are excellent, others are problematic.

http://www.selectedplants.com/seedsupplies.htm

4 Likes

That list will keep em occupied for a while…
Maybe longer…

1 Like

Thank you all for all the great suggestions I really appreciate it!

1 Like

I buy from Baker Creek, but they don’t supply bulk, I’m pretty sure. Free shipping they’re offering this year is nice. I’ve had some hits and some misses with them, germination wise, and haven’t always had the plants turn out to be what the packet said they were. But I keep going back because they have new and interesting things and I think they’re good people doing good things.

1 Like

I’ve also purchased extensively from both Johnny’s and Fedco. I’ve had Success with heirloom tomatoes, peppers, lettuces and Swiss Chard, among other things.

Johnnys has some very nice heirloom tomato and specialty tomato collections. Aside from the heirloom tomatoes, I highly recommend the Artisan Tomato Collection. 3980G. Page 135 of the catalogue. The Sunrise Bumblebee is the best cocktail tomato we have ever tasted. Tomatoberry Garden is the most beautiful heart shape and tasty to boot. (They describe it as strawberry shaped). The Toscano Organic Kale Seed is very good.

Fedco has Weisnicht’s Ukrainian OG under slicing tomatoes. Delicious!

There is also Pinetree Garden Seeds
P.O. Box 300
New Gloucester, Maine 04260

I have bought only a small amount from them but they were good.

We may be looking for different types of vegetables but these are what has been successful for us.

1 Like

I have had good luck ordering bulk from this place in MI.

http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=Hazwho&Screen=ABUS

1 Like

Baker Creek?

Yes.