New Apple Grafts Finally Kicking In

Re Ananas, the heat here concerns me. However, if it can do OK in Paso Robles (Trees of Antiquity) there is less worry on my part.
Thanks for saying so. I have four Bud118 stocks, started just since the turn of the year that all resist tuggin’ out of the soil, with leaves the size of gray squirrel’s ears. Think I’ll put Ananas to 'em tomorrow.

BTW, this forum is outstanding. I ask a question & find answers within 3 hours. Blessings upon ye all.

3 Likes

I haven’t been on this site in nearly a year so I just read your post for the first time. Ananas Reinette has been one of the most precocious apples we’ve grown. We had first blooms in year two but didn’t allow it to fruit until last year. The trees we grafted are on G.41 and P.22 and have fruited now on both. Although the trees are naturally smaller than our other apples, they make up for it with their desire to push out fruit. We’ve even got a super-dwarf that’s about 24" this year with about a half-dozen fruiting buds on its three branches. It’s a bizarre sight.

John

1 Like

Here’s a pic of one of the Ananas Reinette trees and a close-up of the buds about to pop. The flower clusters are pretty dense and quite a sight when they open.

3-Year-Old Ananas Reinette Tree on G.41

Close-Up of Ananas Reinette blooms about to pop.

2 Likes

Many thanks for replying. I hope to taste 'em myself in a few years.

2 Likes