New cider category

There has been a steady discussion of cider making here and as its somewhat specialized we decided to add a new category. We also moved over some old posts on cider-related topics to that category and you can now browse them more easily. Beyond hard apple cider its also the place to discuss sweet cider, perry, wine, etc.

2 Likes

Sounds good to me … Just found two big highbush cranberry bushes about a mile from home so they will be going into wine shortly[quote=“scottfsmith, post:1, topic:7185, full:true”]
There has been a steady discussion of cider making here and as its somewhat specialized we decided to add a new category. We also moved over some old posts on cider-related topics to that category and you can now browse them more easily. Beyond hard apple cider its also the place to discuss sweet cider, perry, wine, etc.
[/quote]

Great idea!

I am a sugar-head but I also like a smooth tannin flavor, so I will be keen to watch for discussion of Sweet Cider blendings here. I love sweet apple cider.

Nice improvement, thanks for organizing Scott!
@markalbob- I find highbush cranberry makes a very good fruit wine on its own or blended with other fruit. We are picking our aronia berries, will be gathering in the hb cran in a week or so. I think they would do well together I a blend.

I have no aronia but it is such a common landscape shrub i may end doing some picking at vacant warehouses this year…

JesseS,

When you use the highbush cranberries, especially for wine, do you wait for them to soften, or just turn red? They are red here, and lower branches are becoming soft, but upper branch fruits are hard and crisp even though fully colored…

I try to get them just after they go soft, then I freeze them and use at my leisure.