New fig addition, first year

After a rough 2020 start,these figs starting to show some healthy new growth. Generous friends here are tops. A big mistake was the use of miracle growth with there wetting crap. Still don’t know why I use this stuff. I normally built my own media and fertilize my own concoction. Red Labenese develop a split trunk, treated like a graft, it’s ok now. 90+ degrees, a little hot for them.

2 Likes

Clarification for a noob just getting into figs… Is miracle grow bad to use for figs? Or bad if the liquid solution is applied to the leaves? I use miracle grow some for garden veggies, so would like to know if it’s a no-no for figs.

I know what you mean about it being too hot for some. We had some 90+ degree days. Some of mine were wilting from heat stress. I tried peter’s STEM and it’s greening up everything so nicely this year.

1 Like

My explanation about mediums is small in comparison to what other members use. You are stepping in world of a lot of confusion among members, each does something different.
I use pine ark, small size about 1/4” in size, larger size perlite, Turface, after this things get more complex. Two things I am dealing with, one, 15gl, two, my age(weight), easily moveable, keep it light weight. Here is a couple products for me to try, Hapi-gro and the larger perlite.when I open up a bag of Hapi gro, I notice a lot of smaller pine bark.
Andrew, Stem is pretty good, Cyco products are also excellent. This one I am using is about 4 years old, only using a t/spoon per 5gl container, plus the regular fertilizer, just use it this morning watering.
I also use it for my citrus, there I use Peters 25/5/15 H/P for my regular fertilizer.
I am sold on this one I am using now.
When your tree’s are small you get away with Big Name potting soils, like Berger 7, Promix.and a few others.
My final mix to use for at least 3 years, maybe 4. To be use in my 15 gl squat containers. My 20 gl containers are history, health is important now.

1 Like

Wonder the reason that you grow them in pots, not in ground in your climate.

I have not had any plant wilting with the in-ground trees in my z6b(?). Also, some varieties with thin leaves are affected more than the varieties with thick waxy leaves like Hardy Chicago.

After years of growing figs my price collection are taking in the garage for winter, my lesser are in the ground, sometimes good, sometimes not good, frozen to the ground .
I call my collection in citrus and now fig the all time best varieties. My mandarins cannot be improved, my figs are excellent. All the others only have minute differences for me that is.
The quest for the ultimate fig is still allusive. That goes with all fruits, there is always the next one.
What are the requirements for the next best one, should an apple taste like an pineapple?

2 Likes