New Member-Starting a Home Orchard

i would also add a ginger gold apple
you can thank me later

I grow several of those apples here in Indiana. My favorite is winesap, I find it the most resistant to disease and bugsā€¦maybe because it is so dense. It is not the best of the tree eating apple, but it has great flavor! Good luck! Nothin better than growing your own fruit.

1 Like

Yes I know that is the downside of purchasing them from the big box storesā€¦probably should have been more patient and purchased varieties from reliable nurseries. Thanks again.

1 Like

I really would like to thank everyone for giving great advice and many things to think aboutā€¦ Thanks for taking your time to respond. I am really glad I found this forum. This is a great Forum. Please keep your comments comingā€¦ I am pretty new with planting fruit trees.

Cousinfloyd.-Thanks for the advice and recommendations of other fruits I may want to considerā€¦Hardy Kiwi, persimmons, mulberry and others. Thanks again.

John S.- That is an interesting approach I will need to consider that ā€¦will that lessen the need for spraying?

Steve S Thanks I will try to find out the rootstock as you VSOP suggest.

Mountain Donkey- I will look into a Ginger Apple. I will need to find room for itā€¦Thanks againā€¦

2 Likes

Berryboy,

Thanksā€¦I know the winesap is popular here in Virginiaā€¦it is good to know that you like it and you find it disease resistant and bugs may not like it as muchā€¦

@Berryboy I know there are different strains of Winesap- is the one you find disease resistant simply ā€œWinesap?ā€ Do you know where you got it?

DaveLN17: yes, it will decrease the need for spraying.
I live in a different climate than you, but I only spray with organic compost tea.
There are several cultural practices that you can do to decrease pest and disease pressure whether you use synthetics or organics.I use as many of the practices as I have time for.
John S
PDX OR

Donā€™t forget that reasonableness in what you want to accomplish is pretty important with backyard gardening. You can put a ton of variety into a very small space if you only want a couple fruit in each flavor at a time. You can can also choose to create a lovely visual landscape that just happens to have fruit. You can create your own little high density orchard prune hard and support with wires and get more production but less aesthetics. The issue isnā€™t whether you can cram variety together, itā€™s whether you are satisfied with the results.

I am personally growing a tall double apple hedge. Best case in a good year is going to be a three to five foot wide five row sail of each variety. I have no idea how well itā€™s going to work yet, but it is finally keeping the dogs farther from the property line.

2 Likes

Can you recommend a muscadine grape that may grow well here. Thanks.

I donā€™t think I can give very good advice on muscadine varieties, but Iā€™ll tell you what I can. I got some of my muscadines mixed up initially, so Iā€™m not even sure what all I have, and Iā€™ve also gotten some vines from neighbors that didnā€™t know names. One of those no-names is a really good bronze, very productive and very good, just not super big. I wonder if itā€™s the actual Scuppernog variety. Sweet Jenny is very large and very sweet, possibly the best tasting muscadine Iā€™ve eaten, but its only fault is that itā€™s been less productive for me than other varieties. A vine I think is Magnolia has good fruit (but definitely not as good as Sweet Jenny) and is super productive but with relatively smaller fruit. Tara, Pam, Triumph, and Supreme are varieties I just recently planted and havenā€™t really gotten any fruit from yet, but those are all varieties Iā€™m very hopeful for. Those are all bronze varieties, except for Supreme. Two varieties I think I have but that I may have gotten mixed up are Darlene and Hunt. What I think is Hunt is productive and pretty good size, but itā€™s definitely inferior to the other named varieties Iā€™ve tried in terms of sweetness/taste. Whatever it is, I wouldnā€™t plant it if I were starting over again. What I think is Darlene has excellent quality fruit but itā€™s relatively less productive and then a much higher percentage of the fruit is ruined by disease and/or pests than other varieties. Iā€™ve also heard good things about Black Beauty, I think.