New Scion Wood Source

I thought I’d pass on that I found out today that Red Fern Farm in Wapello, IA sells scion wood.

I think folks would probably be most interested in the fact that he has Paw Paw scions and American persimmon scions.

http://www.redfernfarm.com/chest_trees.htm

7 Likes

Nice prices and looks like a pretty good selection. Wonder how they are doing on customer satisfaction. Hope we can buy some things from them pretty soon.

Does anyone know when Tom will be opening scion sales for the 2022 season or have I already missed it? @Barkslip any idea?

1 Like

Tom likes to cut wood after it’s been pretty cold first. I know it was like mid-January he decided last year to cut wood to send to me as a personal favor.

1 Like

That’s the answer I was afraid of…It seems like he sells out very quickly and I want to get the good ones. Looks like I’ll be stalking the Red Fern website daily starting January 1st unless I get an anonymous tip :wink:

1 Like

you’re too funny with or without anonymous tips!

2 Likes

Red Fern Farm just posted scions available. Gogogogogo! Not a lot in stock. @Barkslip @lordkiwi @clarkinks

4 Likes

here is another place with some apple, pear, plum, peach and nectarine scion wood. Three Trees Orchard - apples, pears and plums — Three Trees Orchard

2 Likes

The big item is their nut trees and original pawpaw cultivars. They are extremely rare and new with very limited stock.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up, I ordered a couple of their new late-season pawpaws. I found I have too many varieties ripening all at once.

4 Likes

I am very excited about the ones I ordered. For those who already have trees producing, I’ll be curious to see a trial of these new ones to see how they stack up against Peterson and Lehman varieties. These sound like winners and I know it’s been decades of effort to get to where they are.

3 Likes

Thanks! Regulus and Rigel were sold out but I was able to order the rest of Toms varieties. Is there a particular one that is supposed to be best?

I emailed him and he seems pretty excited about Canopus. The photo he sent me of its productivity is absurd.

Additionally, apparently the challenge on Regulus is that it rarely makes vegetative buds on its smaller branches (they are almost all flowers) so it’s hard for Tom to get usable scion wood. That is a double edged sword because that means it is extremely productive; but good luck grafting it to start… That variety is my new white whale haha

2 Likes

Friendly reminder that scion sales open sometime soon. If anyone snags an extra Regulus I’d happily pay for it if I don’t get some myself. Last year one nursery bought all of them.

1 Like

Kirk Pomper has a video in which he recommends dedicating a single tree to scion wood in such cases, doing severe heavy pruning to stimulate lateral branching which would be harvested as the bud wood the following year.
In other species lateral node dormancy is caused by too much (Potassium & Zinc) making Auxin too high in relationship to Cytokinins.

Now open for sales!