Newb raspberry questions

Hi,
I’m new to growing raspberries. I planted 4 bare root canes this spring (Prelude, Royalty, Caroline, Anne).
The Caroline didn’t take but everything else has healthy new canes growing. I ended up buying a live Caroline raspberry plant online to replace the dead bare root cane. After 6 weeks, it seems pretty healthy but the canes seem much weaker than the other varieties. They are also all growing from base rather than the roots. I am wondering, should I continue to let it grow like this to establish roots this year? Maybe prune all but the strongest cane? Cut all of it to the ground to force better canes from the roots?

1 Like

I’d just leave it be, let it establish.

1 Like

leave it alone

1 Like

It will produce better canes next time. No need to prune. Remember canes will die after two years. So one is always renewing the canes. Leaving it on will give the roots a source of sugar from the leaves. Another reason not to remove canes.

1 Like

It needs all the leaves it has right now to establish a strong root system. It can take two years for them to get properly established but once they do that start putting strong shoots from the ground like nobody’s business.