Newly planted tree leaves yellowing at tips...?

OK, this is not a fruit tree, but I thought maybe someone here might be able to help. I planted a very small Kousa dogwood 2 weeks ago. It leafed out soon after planting. Its leaves are yellowing at the tips now, especially near the bottom of the tree. It looks similar to chlorosis, with the veins greener. Could it be chlorosis so fast? Or perhaps transplant shock? Or maybe leaf scorch? – today it was super hot and sunny all at once. What should I do? Thanks for any help.

1 Like

I could be iron deficiency. Chelated iron works pretty well. Then again it may improve on it’s own.

Iron sounds likely with the green veins.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m surprised that can happen so fast. It’s true our soil is neutral pH and I know acidic soil improves iron uptake. So I guess I’ll give the chelated iron a shot.

1 Like

maybe not related to your yellow tips. But dogwoods like a lot of calcium.

1 Like

Our soil does have a lot of calcium; but again, maybe uptake is inhibited by alkaline pH. In any case I got some Espoma Iron-Tone (the store didn’t have any chelated iron), applied it, and the tree looks much better now! I suppose it could also partly be due to its settling in more, but I’m going to keep applying the Iron-Tone in spring and fall. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like