News from North West AR

Another flat year in the making, all persimmon trees are waiting for the chainsaw to finish( bobbing trees). Didn’t check all of them, one has a couple new growth showing. KBS is the only one looking normal. Pretty much scratch persimmon of for an other year. Inground figs froze to the ground, crazy thing happens, close to the ground it shows dead wood, upper part nice and green, now they are all dead. All container tree’s figs and citrus doing well, no problem with them.
My Stella fig has half of the branches surviving, the other branches dead. The surviving branches were closer to the ground, about 5”.
I guess it made the difference. Vortex temps were minus 7 and a couple of 5’s below. One more Vortex, going to find another hobby. Going back to fishing, that’s always good.
Chainsaw is already getting a workout.

6 Likes

Bob, I am sorry for your persimmon trees. You had such a beautiful collections. Will tou restart some varieties?

1 Like

Only 3 are showing growth. Down the hill are most of the tree’s, don’t show any growth. If they start all over again fine, if not, I would’t cry about it. One tree might carry a bucket this year. Will see!
Amy, how are you doing? Great I hope.
Btw, plums/ pluots/pears/container tree’s/citrus all doing fine. Paw2 are full of flowers. If they turn into fruits I am in trouble. Nobody here care for them. Even the young grafts are carrying flowers.
Persimmon? Not much this year, don’t know about next year. If they come back, I will train them much smaller. Most of them are about 18 feet tall. How about yours? Let us know. Greenhouse ok?

1 Like

Bob, I am alright! We had one last snowstorm yesterday so I am waiting for temperature to go up again before I can put my trees outside. Bob, lol, I have been following your steps, mon cher ami. I bought a couple of pawpaws! Can’t wait to taste my first pawpaw! I have a Susquehanna with flower buds but nothing to pollinate them.

I also have a new interest for mulberry trees. I heard some varieties are hardy enough to grow here.

Merci beaucouppppp mon cher amie, Amy. Mulberries?, you are in the right place here, plenty of help. Tons of varieties. I am at max. Looking forward to see your progress, btw how is Jan doing, like to know how her retirement is keeping her more busy? Enough room(office/greenhouse) for expansion?
Do you remember the Amy tree? Have fun!

Of course! How could I forget the Amy tree? And also your beautiful jaboticabas! As a matter of fact, I just bought some red jaboticaba seeds. I heard that they are very precocious.
Bob, I am looking for my old friends on every forums. I am very happy to find you here and it seems a very fun forum. I am still searching for Brian, Jam and the other. I miss you guys.
Bob, if we were in the same country I would have send you some fig cuttings!

Here is a picture of one of my Giombo tree, might be ok a month from now. Right now, nothing showing, have several like this one, same height. If they show new growth on the variety part I’ll keep them, if only rootstock, I,ll cut it down.

Bob, don’t you want to graft on the rootstock? You can graft multiple varieties like you did with your Amy tree!

Hate to loose this tree in particular, but I should kept the persimmon tree’s much smaller. Small tree, less fruit. I had to throw so much away in 2019, not been able find people here. Gave some just to try, no takers.No problem getting rid of mandarins. My wife is starting to like them, persimmon that is. If they taste flat she would,t eat it. Very picky!
Right now, just waiting. If this Giombo survive, I will keep it as small as possible, it can go wide but not tall. Safety first. This tree is surrounded by a bunch of paw2, blooming very heavy, another problem to deal with paw2, worst than persimmon. Last fall I shrew a bunch in the nearby woods. Froze a dozen of them, eat a couple every month, last one in May, eat them as soon as they though out, not bad, if you wait even after an hour they are no good to eat.

1 Like

Your neighbors don’t know how lucky they are to have the chance to taste all the unique varieties that you grow. I bought a couple of pawpaws this spring following the discussion you and Jan had. Lol, I wish I can try sone first but it’s impossible for me to find someone who will sell me some fruits.

A bit of good news, my favorite Giombo is finally showing growth, lots of little buds showing, high seventies and eighties degrees helps. Maybe they all come back, including Roya Brilliante.
The Giombo was a real surprise, after trying to find green, all the way to the rootstock, no green. Might not cut deep enough.

5 Likes

That’s really good news. Hope all of them come back, Bob.

I am very happy hear that!

Thank you, now I can start some heavy pruning to shape the tree’s shorter and better looking so I don’t have to use my 11 foot orchard ladder.
Amy, what does your collection look like now, got to be interesting!

3 Likes

Great to hear this Bob!
Hope future winters aren’t this bad for you.

So far so good, prune one Giombo tree today, lots of new buds, check another one, got to prune all 6 Giombo tree’s, will recover. Roja Brilliante still nothing on all 6 of them. Container figs looking normal, inground figs toasted but coming back. Pears loaded again.
Mandarins and Pomelo’s of to a good start.

6 Likes

I guess, one year without any persimmon ain’t bad, can live with that.

2 Likes

It looks like they are coming back, RB are the slowest, barely showing a tiny bud. By the end of summer, they might look normal and forget about the Polar Vortex.

3 Likes

Will you fertilize them to give them a little boost? Glad to know they will all survive -7 degrees and freezing daytime temps even with some damage. Did your Pulu tree survive? It’s one of the latest to wake up for me.

2 Likes

Yes Andrew, that one has a lot of new buds. I don’t think they need fertilizer yet but I do have a lot of fertilizer on hand. Got to thin out when they get an inch long, just to make sure they even out. Might then fertilize.

1 Like