Nikkori Asian Pear (The $10 pear)

Has anyone heard of “Nikkori” pear or have eaten it? Each pear is said to cost $10, as it sells for $10/kg and the fruit on average weighs 1kg (per #1 youtube video below). Seems to be a big moneymaker for the local region where it’s grown since they can’t grow enough of it to meet export demand.

“Nikkori is a new late maturing, russet-skin type cultivar of Japanese pear (Pyrus pyrifolia Nakai var. culta Nakai), released by Tochigi Agricultural Experiment Station. Nikkori, formerly named “2-11”, was developed from cross seedlings between Niitaka and Hosui, crossed in 1984.

Fruit of Nikkori is round, soft, crisp, very juicy and weighs 800g on the average. The skin color is reddish brown and the flesh is white. The juice is sweet and less acidic, Brix and pH of it are 12.1% and 5.08, respectively.”

-New Japanese pear [Pyrus pyrifolia] cultivar “Nikkori” [Japan] [1997], Bulletin of the Tochigi Prefectural Agricultural Experiment Station (Japan)

1 Like

The Japanese also buy square watermelons for hundreds of dollars, so they are really into fruit

2 Likes

Yes, it’s amazing the artisanship they put into fruit growing. If I ever get to go to Japan, I would love to sample some of the unique fruit they have there.

1 Like

I tried some last time I was in Japan. I didn’t get the 100 dollar watermelon or the honeydew melons, but I did buy the expensive strawberries. They were the best I’ve had, but at like 5x the cost of usual strawberries. Usual strawberries from the store are very tasteless, the Japanese ones were more flavorful than my homegrown ones. My opinion is that they are worth the cost to taste a few times, but would not buy them more than a couple times. Fruit are different in Japan cause they are usually given as expensive gifts, so they approach it differently.

1 Like

Incredible, you can taste the difference human labor makes.

1 Like

I can’t find any trees this side of the big water. Looks like it either has not been imported or if it has is flying under the radar.

1 Like

Me either, would love to try grafting a branch, but looks like business may be too good for the Tochigi locals. There’s no incentive to propagate this golden goose for them.

Well wrapped fruits are part of gift giving in Japanese culture. You can wrap one pear to give it to a friend. A large, high-quality, higher priced pear is appropriated.
It’s not like Kevin who gave boxes of fruits to his friends. If Kevin lives in Japan he would make a lots of friends🤭

1 Like

new here, so hello everyone, but i noticed the Japanese make an art out of every endeavor worth doing, even the eggs teste superior to anything we gat in the states, i wonder how they get strawberries to the quality they do, i should look to see what their growing protocell is for growing strawberries or if it’s even published as many farmers have trade secrets…

1 Like

maybe you can find this pear sold in specialty stores, than tissue culture the fruit to grow a tree. it would be a nice tree to add the the Asian pear tree orchard.

if you willing to pay $6 a dozen of Happy Eggs, it tastes pretty good too.I bet the egg costs more in Japan. It is the matter of the price you are willing to pay,. Most Americans enjoy lower price ( mass production goods) and tolerate the food that lack of taste but with same nutritional value.
In my observations, many Americans whose indulgent in heavy sugar and grease food. Their taste buds have lost part of ability to tastes the flavor that other than sweet, salty,and greases

1 Like

I just got some hens so i plan to feed my hens the same diet the Japanese use for their hens, i looked into their protocol for the highest quality eggs and it’s not cheap but worth it. Next I’m looking into the strawberry issue because if you want the best learn from the best.

The best flavored eggs come from hens on a diet high in insects, vegetables,.and grass. Feed chickens fish and the eggs taste like fish. Feed them bitterweed and I don’t think anyone could eat the eggs.

1 Like

Hello @CoreFlex , welcome to the forum. Indeed I think the Japanese take pride in and value artisanship. Re: Strawberries, I found this video.

“Oishii Berry founder Hiroki Koga combines Japanese strawberry cultivation techniques with the technology of a first-of-its-kind indoor vertical strawberry farm in America to create the highest quality strawberry possible”

I would love to try growing it, unfortunately I have no such knowledge of those lab techniques.

1 Like

Do you notice that the strawberry color is kinda orange, not red in that video? I have never seen strawberries in that color

1 Like

I did notice the color. And the berry was very plump and its seeds were recessed, in all almost resembling a fat orange morel mushroom.

1 Like