Northern Mid-Atlantic: SE-PA/N-VA/MD/NJ/DE Region

Beats me. I just planted these last summer, so they are small. If they were larger I wouldn’t worry, but small plants can be knocked out easier…

@ampersand

Thank you , my pears and apples are a bit behind yours. And my gooseberry still has no leaves just some bud swelling.

Just finished covering everything I could. Looks like a bunch bodies in the yard.

1 Like

Silly pears. Didn’t they know we’d get one more evil freeze? I wonder what the predicted low of 22 will leave me.

2 Likes

At least the Bradford pear blooms will be knocked out this year.

I have one plum tree at full bloom and another at first bloom. I am looking at 2-3 nights at the 90% kill temp this week. Fingers crossed. Even if the buds pull though I might not have enough warmth to wake the pollinators.

2 Likes

I put this one on the hazel thread but the links have I think some helpful information specific to the mid-atlantic region.

from the hazelnut thread

How did everyone make out with the freeze? The local magnolia blooms got knocked out, as did some Bradford pear, but all my stuff looks surprisingly good.

I’ve got some damage on Asian pear buds, but enough seem to have survived to produce a normal crop. Plums have some damage, but they’re getting removed so whatever. The few peach flowers starting to open up so far don’t show any visible damage. A few pawpaw buds also got nipped. It looks like a normal fruiting year unless we get another deep freeze. Berries, figs, persimmons, and jujube should all be good.

1 Like

I didn’t think to check my pawpaws, I’ll have to mosey down there!

This is what my plum looks like today. Most of the flower bud/flower are dead. I don’t know if some will survive.

My peaches and pear seem ok.

1 Like

Plums flowers don’t seem like they will make it. apples, & pears look good. Pawpaw buds look good too.

1 Like

My plum open plum buds look just like yours. I have a couple of other trees that are opening later hopefully they were more dormant and undamaged.

Honey berries bag and in ground took a hit on the newest growth but older growth and the flower appear to have made it though ok.

1 Like

I think my blooms all came through okay, at least enough that I didn’t lose everything. My apricot, which is young, seems to be setting some fruit from the blooms, so some must have made it unless they suddenly abort. My cot is in an open front yard by my neighbor’s apricot, which is in a backyard with a privacy fence around it seems to have lost everything, so maybe his fence held the cold in and got him a degree or 2 colder.

I think my pear blossoms are okay.

My Carmine Jewel and Juliets are starting to bloom now, so it seems they know to wait a little longer.

1 Like

I saw some toasted magnolias nearby and a few very minor bits of damage but that is it for me.

That said I have seen delayed effects from some freezes, two years ago many of my cots took freeze damage at dime sized but they didn’t drop for several weeks.

Can anyone tell me when my prune plums should flower, Zone 6b Reading/Philadelphia, PA area? Relative to forsythia, weeping cherries or redbuds blooming (or some other plant) would be perfect. I planted three last fall when I moved. They look good and had greenwood when I took scion wood earlier, but now I’m nervous. No sign of anything yet, except red-ish branches. I can’t remember when they bloomed last year.

Maybe a week or two from now? Mine have highly swelled flower buds and a couple have already opened at the tips. You should at least see swelled buds by now.

Hmmmm…I’m not sure that I am seeing that. The apples in the warm, protected spot out back (in pots) are about to bloom. The spot were the plums are is colder, as is the general area near the house. It is a bit of a cold sink. Hopefully, they are just behind.

Here’s my Castleton this morning, just started showing color in the buds.

1 Like

I’m seeing some bud swell on a very, very limited number of branches (but at least on all three trees). The rest look like the second picture. They have only bloomed once since I bought them, but I remember the trees being covered in blooms. I’m hoping the move and new location did not stress them to the point of dying.

(sorry about the focus on the second picture)
Slightly better photo:

What are we looking at? Peach apple? How tall are you looking to grow this tree? You can get some more branching if you clip the terminal buds