Nutting Bumpus apple

We have a wild seedling tree in an “active” area that has been convenient to graft extras onto. It has decent apples of its own - medium-small September “Duchess” type, keeps fairly well, gets thrown into applesauce or cider mixes. These types are common along our roads, on the tart side but good when you’re outside working, this one special because it’s in our yard and is healthy, and a real nice smallish tree. But I wouldn’t plant a Duchess type on purpose, preferring a sweeter apple.

This year the Nutting graft on a branch of the tree blossomed and set 3 fruit. I watched the apples carefully - they are too low, well within deer range, but thankfully deer pressure is low. I’d never tasted a Nutting so anticipated it eagerly. The apples grew well, sooty blotch but otherwise looking good.

apple-Nutting-fruit2-Sept16-gf

Sept. 16 I found the larger one on the ground. Touched the other smaller one and it came off. The third one was missing. Excited (our very first grafted apple!) I took photos, cut one in half, took photos, then finally … took a bite. Well, it tasted a lot like the main tree’s fruit, looked a lot like it, too, just a little larger. Maybe these weren’t from the graft. Back to the tree, carefully studied the branch - yes, they were from the graft. Compared apples - very nearly alike but just a little different from the regulars. Back inside I tasted the two side by side. They sure tasted alike. Well, darn, what’s going on.Did we somehow graft the main tree to itself? I looked back at my notes. Then I rolled my eyes and got a good laugh at myself. Of course it tastes like a “Duchess type” - Nutting is a Duchess seedling! Why I got that one I don’t now know. The name probably, and z3 hardy.

apple-Nutting-fruitcutSept16-gf

Oh well, it’s not a bad apple at all. Tart-sweet, decent size, healthy. It fits right in with the tree it’s grafted onto and will go into the mix as well. I saved one to see how it keeps. We certainly have poorer and more sour apples so I appreciate this one for what it is. And it was still fun to have a graft fruit. Sue

9 Likes

we have a lot off wild duchess and y. transparent here around the fields and old farms. i commonly make sauce with both but i prefer a y. transparent for fresh eating over duchess. a little sugar and cinnamon makes a great sauce though. fedco sells a few sports of it that was found originally near here.

Yes, I’ve certainly made sauce from worse apples! I think the Duchess was a very popular and commonly planted tree here, too. I got my Nutting scion from Fedco. Sue

1 Like

I’ve picked from the mother tree of the charette apple when i was a kid. a very good apple. still going strong. the garfield king yellow transparent i have in the yard from st. lawrence nursery came from the same charette hill area in ft. kent. a few others on their website came from Aroostook county as well.

2 Likes

Sue, how’s the 2020 crop?

And how is the Black Oxford crop?

No apples here this year…freezes.

My single Nutting apple dropped the end of August, nice size, healthy. It got thrown in with others for a batch of sauce and I forgot to taste test. It’s only one branch on a seedling tree which has a very sparse crop this year so hopefully I’ll have more next year. the one I saved last year was getting soft by the first of October so I’m guessing it’s not a long keeper.

Black Oxford and Dudley both took the year off, likely because they were both loaded last year. I see two BlOx’s on the tree though so I’ll get a taste (not ripe yet). Bummer about your losing to frost. I feel very fortunate since in spite of the wild extremes of weather my Haralson really put out and with a moderate light Beacon crop and a handful of others here and there will get us through fine, though no extras for cider alas.

As always, looking forward to next year! Sue

1 Like

I bought a Nutting Bumpus scion two winters back, got a change in workload and did no - first time in 12 years - no grafts last year. They didn’t keep well until this spring.
Might we swap for a Nutting scion next winter?

What I have that might do well for you: Winekist, Redfield, Connell Red, Hunt Russet, GoldRush, Maiden Blush, Windham Russet (these are so small it may take an extra year to get scions, but I’d remember to send the following year if you want that most).

Seems like, if anyone should have the Nutting Bumpus variety, it should be you Dave! I wish you luck!

2 Likes

Hi Dave, Sure - remind me next winter. The tree the graft is on has been well shaded by a large (dying) elm which we just cut down. It will be interesting to see how it does with more sun. Noo apples last year due to late May freezes during full bloom. Ever hopeful for this year. Sue

1 Like

My Nutting graft did much better this year with six apples, all healthy and good sized. They dropped from Sept. 2-11. Not surprising they were better than previous since we cut down a large elm in the spring that has been shading the tree Nutting is grafted onto, going from less than 3 hrs of good sun to almost 6. It’s a decent tasting apple if one doesn’t compare it to a sweeter one at the same time. Mostly mine go into the sauce mix. Sue

Nutting-fruit-051122-w

5 Likes